Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to forum. Just started setting up what I hope will be a Amazon biotope tank. Trying to get filtering, driftwood and plants all settled in. Its been running for about 1 week. Still trying to adjust pH downward by doing water changes with rainwater. Still at 7.4 because the tap water here is so mineral rich. Boiled my driftwood to get out some of the tannins. Planted bacopa, amazon sword, Italian vals and Cabomba. Have a plant called "Mint charlie". So far the plants are doing well, especially the Cabomba. The vals and amazon swords are showing yellowing.

Has anyone tried rainwater to lower pH? Do I have to worry about certain minerals in rainwater? Do you think the high pH is responsible for the yellowing of the sword plants?

Is this Mint Charlie plant appropriate for amazon?

I have used regular aquarium gravel, with small peat moss sacs around the roots of the bacopa, cabomba and mint charlie.

Thanks for your advice.

Thomas

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy yourself and learn a lot.

You asked about rain water, and the only thing I can think of is that certain parts of the U.S. have an acid rain situation, but I do not know what the actual pH of that rainwater is. You have piqued my interest and the next time it rains I'm going to see about measuring the pH of our local rainfall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comler:

Thanks for the welcome. The rainwater I collect is 6.0 pH. Distilled water here is 6.4 pH. Acidic rain water, but with what I'm not sure. I think it might be good to add some aquarium salts to it, but I don't know how to test for the acid components.:Fish_orange::Fish_orange:

Thomas

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
You could try to mix some salts (few grains) in a small amount of your rainwater (tablespoon or so) and run a test on it and then add a few more grains and keep doing it and see if as you add more the pH changes on the scale as you test but I would not bet on it. There are preparations made to prepare water for the use in Amazon tanks that would make it much more likely to be a good stable and consistently even pH all the time but after all in nature the pH is not going to be the exact same all the time either but won't fluctuate by much.

Since this is not my area and I am not into this type of tank I will not go further into advising you and will say that the best place to ask for advice is in the forum proper rather than in a welcome post.

I do want to welcome you and hope that when you get your tank up and running you will post pictures of the finished tank as it sounds lovely and great!

Welcome I hope you love it here as much as I do.

Rose

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
With the plants getting yellow on the leaves it can be one of a couple of reasons. Not enough light. or they need ferts. Which vals and swords will benefit from using root tabs. Ph shouldn't be a problem with them as most amazon tanks have a low ph. What kind of substrate are you using. Peat doesn't really do much in the way of ferts for the plants. Its mostly used for softening the water.

In my amazon tanks I use peat in the filter and also use blackwater extract. The water is tinted but to me it looks pretty cool.

The mint charlie is native to the US, Mexico and Central America, but it should be ok in the amazon tank if it has enough light.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 sounds like an interesting tank you have there, looking forward to pics

1 - 9 of 9 Posts