Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do i need to do different from a freshwater setup? Is it basically the same setup, but I add more salt to the tank? Is it a different type of salt? Is there a salintiy test kit i need? Do i need a dif filter? I have an empty 55gal and 130gal, was thinking of setting one of them up as a brackish tank.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
out of SW, FW, and brackish, brackish is hardest to maintain. yes u need sea salt and a salinity test kit. a FW filter will be fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The best advice I can give you about keeping a brackish system is research the fish you want to keep first. With that done you would have a good idea of how to set the system up. salt salinity in a brackish system is somewhat lower than marine systems and as a result many hydrometers don't read salinity at brackish levels. so be sure to get a good hydrometer or refractometer that can read brackish water salinity.
If you intend on buying green spotted puffer fish or a figure of eight puffer please be warned that many LFS have them in fresh water. Thus making acclimatisation to full brackish water a bit of a chore.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys, not really sure on the fish yet, but it sounds like doing a marine tank would be a bit easier than brackish, is that right?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and for what fish, i was thinking of a Jade Puffer(Tetraodon fluviatilis) or at least thats what my lfs calls them. They have a 6" one that is pretty awesome looking, its the biggest I have seen and i cant believe the gnarly teeth these guys have. He told me it will needs its own large tank.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanks for the info guys, not really sure on the fish yet, but it sounds like doing a marine tank would be a bit easier than brackish, is that right?
Well in My opinion brackish is far easier than a full saltwater setup.
Things that you should take into account with SW is the equipment and the price tag they carry.
Brackish setups need much less equipment in fact you could easily just add salt to a freshwater system and hay-presto you've got a brackish tank.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
IMO the price tag is cheaper, but brackish is not easier to maintain. brackish tanks are cheaper to keep, but require more maintenance to make sure the salt is not too high or not too low. a reef set-up will be harder to maintain, but FOWLR system is easier than brackish, though more expensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You must also know what kind of plants survive brackish water. The best survivor is Jave fern, which also will not be eaten by scat's, which are one of the most beautiful fish i know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts