Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been keeping aquarium fish since 1977 and I know a little, how ever I recently bought fish from a shop, theese fis wher sick and one by one died, the fish keeper at the shop apologised and gave me antibioc food to feed the fish and offered to replace the dead fish, so far....so good!! as all my other fish started to suffer from all sort of signs of ill health I contacted the shop and I was told that no replacement was going to happen as they did not wish to take responsibility, and upon my argment they agreed to allow the fish keeper to give me some fish in exchange for the dead one which I had collected and froze for their records. The original fish Long Fin Serpae Tetra, showing fungus signs immediately, due to secondary stage infection from bacterial infection as the primary, the fish keeper agreed and removed his fish from display and sale. Water test carried out by him and other shops, which I can support with witnesses proved that water conditions have been and are perfect. First to die 3 serpae tetra (cause) 4 danios, one was near death for 5 days swimming on his side (male) and recovered and he is well, 1 angel, 24 giant neon tetra and 11 neon tetra over a week, 3 betta splendens female (1 dropsy) 2 Giant danios (1 eyes out big) few livebarers babies died and some are very happy, 2 male swordtail dead, one khuli loach dead, one bristle nose dead, one minnow dead!!1 more angel dead!! 1 betta splendens female sick for a week now happy, 2 angels happy, 4 danios happy, 8 minnows happy, 1 rainbow happy, female live barers having babies... very happy... 3 clown loach happy, 1 sharl red tail black happy all theese fish are small in a 300L aquarium with excellent filtering and water conditions. I went back to the shop once my fish stopped dying 8 days later the last dead one and spoke to the fish keeper asking for replacement of value either in some Healthy fish or goods and left it that he would ring me with a response from the owners!!! no response and so I emailed them and still no response, and so I emailed again letting them know of my intention to follow up the matter if no response is given to me by tomorrow!! this shop keepers have a very bad reputation I since learned from both the trade and aquarium hobbysts around, apparently the have no second thought in selling a sick fish to anyone. What next!????

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
wow...that is way too many fish for a 300L .that is more than like 30 fish in one tank???

WAY OVERSTOCKED!!!

no wonder they died

even in they did have symptoms

Reactions: BluBje

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Thats not a bad amount of fish really, its basically 75 gal US. But to avoid trouble like that one of the best things to do is quarantine all new fish at least a couple of weeks. That would have saved some of your older fish from getting sick.

There really isn't much you can do about getting the lfs to replace fish that you had before adding the sick ones in there, and it sounds as if they don't give a guarantee on fish they sell because of what they sell. Most big box stores will give 7 to 10 days guarantee but you must take a sample of your tank water in for them to test at the same time. Lots of places will only give 2 or 3 days on them. You should have taken them back as soon as the first one died.

Get yourself a 10 gal tank, and a cheap filter for it. You can run a sponge in the filter and have it running on your 75 gal for at least a couple of weeks for it to colonize with bacteria, then when you get new fish add dechlorinated water to the 10 and toss the filter on it and its ready to go. Once the fish pass quarantine toss the sponge out of the filter, clean the housing and put a new sponge in it and put back on the 75 and dump the water out of the 10 till you need it again. Will save you a disaster in the main tank and that way your only putting healthy fish into the 75. It can also double as a hospital tank for when you need to treat for any disease.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
ohhh....i thought it was like 20-30 gallons

i was like woah!!!

lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats not a bad amount of fish really, its basically 75 gal US. But to avoid trouble like that one of the best things to do is quarantine all new fish at least a couple of weeks. That would have saved some of your older fish from getting sick.

There really isn't much you can do about getting the lfs to replace fish that you had before adding the sick ones in there, and it sounds as if they don't give a guarantee on fish they sell because of what they sell. Most big box stores will give 7 to 10 days guarantee but you must take a sample of your tank water in for them to test at the same time. Lots of places will only give 2 or 3 days on them. You should have taken them back as soon as the first one died.

Get yourself a 10 gal tank, and a cheap filter for it. You can run a sponge in the filter and have it running on your 75 gal for at least a couple of weeks for it to colonize with bacteria, then when you get new fish add dechlorinated water to the 10 and toss the filter on it and its ready to go. Once the fish pass quarantine toss the sponge out of the filter, clean the housing and put a new sponge in it and put back on the 75 and dump the water out of the 10 till you need it again. Will save you a disaster in the main tank and that way your only putting healthy fish into the 75. It can also double as a hospital tank for when you need to treat for any disease.
Thanks*r2

When Ia added more fish was with the fish keeper at the shop knowledge and appruval, he new and has agreed that the original cause was the Serpae.
Ps the claim that they quaranteen all thei stock!!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
You can't always go by what they claim. Some of their advice might be okay but for the most part, they are just to make a buck. Even with my personal favorite lfs when I get fish from him they go into quarantine for a month. It sometimes takes 2 or more weeks for something to show up. so if they quarantined even for 2 weeks something could have shown up. And most lfs filtering system is all in one. so if one tank has something it will usually spread to the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts