Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 580 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts! I wanted to start a journal so we can track my little Oto friends. This is late in the game for them as they have been breeding for a spell, but we just joined the site so bare with us. I'll have to provide a cliff note version to get caught up to date.

History: I had a 10g tank set up for awhile for testing purposes. I eventually settled in on a plan and went plants only for this guy. I had the usual diatom problem but thought nothing of it and just kept scraping them off. Months later, they just never went away. I then decided I needed a little assistance. I went down to the LFS and bought two Oto's. At the time they were the same size so I couldn't tell them apart as far as male and female. I added a batch of yellow shrimp a few days later (good deal...couldn't pass it up). I then converted this tank to a high light tank and started doing EI dosing for the plants. One day while doing a water change, I spotted something small on the glass. Upon further investigation, found out it was a baby oto. A the rest is history from there. The breeding continues today and still getting babies. The trick has been getting them to grow up fully. Think I'm closing in on that as well.

Tank Specs:
Tank: 10g
Substrate: SMS
Lighting: 20w T12
Photo Period: 10hrs (0800-1800)
Ferts: Was using EI dosing method for dry ferts but after babies were found, determined PMDD + Phosphates were the best way to go.
DIY Co2 Jell-O method
Heavily planted with various species of plants (need to compile a list)

Tank Parameters: (These stay pretty much in this ballpark)
Temp: 74
PH: ~ 7.4
NO3: ~ 40
NO2: 0
NH3: 0
KH: 6
GH: 10

Will post some pics shortly. I'll start with some past ones and update from there.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And that will bring us up to today (06/20).

As of today, I only have the Oto's and shrimp in the tank. I lost all my briggs. Due to medical issues with my father I had not been able to take care of my tanks for a spell. I was just going from work to hospital and then bed. Get up next day and repeat. He is getting better and in a rehab clinic. This has given me a chance to catch back up.

On the Oto front, I still have mom and dad and they are still doing there happy dance. There are three juvenilles and a boat loat of wigglers.

I keep this as updated as I can. And if you have any questions, just let us know.

Thanks for reading.

J.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
06/25: Checked on the guys today. Getting ready to do another water change. At initial look, all appears to be just fine. Mom and Dad are hanging out together again. Will be on the watch for eggs.

As for babies, I counted (8). Getting bigger every day. All are coloring up. I only saw two that are pretty small/newish. Still have the (3) juvies and (3) others that approaching juvy status.

Working on my other tanks at the moment so can't finish the plants. Which seems to be a good thing. Most of the babies are really working over the crypt jungle.

Quit a few yellow shrimp in there as well. Need to start looking into thining the herd.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
This is truly fascinating to me and I want to thank you for doing such a lovely pictoral journal for us. I absolutely love this little fish and I know how rare it is for them to breed in tanks. The gentleman who keeps the site at www.otocinclus.com - Home of the Dwarf Suckermouth Catfishes is always on the hunt for people who have had success. You may want to contact him so he can add your success to his record. I know he would love your journal.

Thank you so much. I am really enjoying this. :)

Rose

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
06/27: All appears to be doing well in the Oto tank. Lots of babies swimming around. Was hard to get an accurate count. I did manage to fire off some pics. Here's the best ones from today:

Mom and a baby muching a zuc:

Let's all gather around the zuc:

A yellow shrimp just observing it all:

·
Banned
24 Posts
you bred them? WOW
the research labs in Florida need to do that...all the Ottos in stores are still wild caught...
they are usually damaged by nets and ammonia :(

you are so lucky! lol
i recently had a hybrid Ottocinclus but lost him to an ammonia spike :(
you have inspired me to get more and try breeding...
keep us posted :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
07/01: Checked on my babies today. All is well. Alot of activity. Didn't bother counting today. Zuchini's are dissapearing fast! Between the Oto's and the shrimps...they all have full bellies.

On the plus side....I put in 4 briggs the other day. Babies wasted no time workin over the shells. And wouldn't ya know it...I didn't have the camera at that time to catch it. A couple of them had 2-3 babies on the shells.

Getting ready to add more zuc and recharge Co2. I have two more jungles to take care of then I get the plants in the Oto tank squared away again.

Here's a shot of one of the Juvies today. I didn't use the tripod today and this turned out to be the only decent pic.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I am still in awe. I lost my last oto to old age a couple weeks ago and the store here is not carrying them at present due to a problem with their tanks. I can hardly wait to get more. I tried shipping them in but all six died from the stress. I am so envious!!!! :)

Please keep up the good work!

Rose

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
07/07: Still not a whole lot of time to do much unfortunately. I did get home in time to get a peek in the tank. Lights went out shortly after I got home. I didn't spot any new eggs or wigglers. Hopefully they just need a break. I did find that my Co2 wasn't working so had to change bottles. Still need to do a water test. I think the parameters have dropped since no Co2.

On the baby front, I did see about (6) juvies around. That's a good sign at least. I'll be able to more tomorrow as I will have a short day.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Sorry I have not been back as my schedule has been packed but am looking forward to new news and this is one of my favorite threads!!

Rose

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thx..I'm hoping things can get back to normal here myself. I do a little bit here and there just not as I used to. My father comes home from rehab on Monday. Cancer is nasty beast!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father and know what you are going through my mother is going through the same thing.

Best of wishes to you and your family.

Rose

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
07/13: Still trying to get back on task here. Checked in on them today. All looks good for now as far as what is existing in here. Still haven't seen any new eggs or wigglers. <sniff> I hope this isn't the end but will continue to follow the journey of the juvies for now.

Here's some shots from today: Still have to work on my photo skills. Some are blurry.

Here's the big guy:

One of the smaller juvies:

Here's mom and dad:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I really do like the fishes and the live plants that you have inside your tank there :) I might even start a journal myself too on my two main aquariums :) Although I don't know if people would want to check them out and reply. That's what I don't like when I post up all of the pictures, and then have no replies :( Has that ever happened?

I'd love to do mine on my Angelfishes and my Severum(s) :) although I've got wonderful live plants that I have trimmed in my 29 gallon tank, so now more light can penetrate my aquarium, and more light now can shine on to my amazon swords :) I've got like 5 of them in my 29 gallon.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Build it....and they will come.

Journals are an excellent way of sharing information (and pics *Glasses*).

If anything...do it for the fun of it. That's why I do.

1 - 20 of 580 Posts