Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help.... Can anyone recommend a product that will take of algae? Within one weeks time my ornaments and parts of my gravel turn green. I've done my normal maintenance of changing the water, cleaning the gravel etc. etc. But to no avail... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you have a light on the tank for a long duration? That will help grow algae.

Do you have the tank situated near a window, allowing light into the tank? That will help grow algae.

As for a "product", I can't recommend anything, because I don't like to use unnatural means if I can avoid them. There are products out there that will help control the growth of algae, but I have never used them.

I'll bet (without any other info) that you are keeping a light on the tank or it is near a window. Remove the light and the algae can't grow. :animated_fish_swimm

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yeah, killing the algae is not enough. It will grow back if you don't solve the real problem. Usually it is having the lights on for too long, too many watts, or overfeeding fish....or a combo. ;)

Also, do you know what kind of algae you have? Is it green dust, green hair, blue-green, green spot...etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I control alge with a Bristle nose Pleco, the other plecos can grow to be 10 inches long. and I have cory cats to eat the uneaten food on the bottom. Also some people use a shrimp, but I think they are ugly. The above suggestions are accurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts