Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just wanted to say hello and thank you for having me.

My name is Justin and I currently live in Upstate NY with my wife Mandy and my three cats Cass, Camy, and Ace. I am a long time fisherman and have since began to invest in a freshwater semi-native aquarium. As of right now I have a 150 Gallon fish tank with two Emperor 400 filters. Right now in my tank I have:

2 Goldfish
2 Yellow Perch
1 Brown Bullhead
3 Pumpkinseed Sunfish
1 Common Shiner
1 Fathead Minnow
1 Cutlip Minnow
1 Banded Killifish
4 Spotfin Shiners
1 Pleco
and last but not least 1 Crawfish

I am not quite sure where I want to head with my aquarium but would like to have an array of NYS fish that I have caught personally. I would love a small bowfin! I don't have much in the tank as far as plants or cover but am getting those slowly.

Here are some Images and Video:

I also have a question in the freshwater newbie forum about water changes on my tank. Appreciate your help.

Thanks for looking!

·
The Aquarium Expert
127 Posts
Welcome To The Site!!!!
Your Fish Look Very Cool and Helathy!!!!
What's Your Question?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get Some Gravel
IF you have any extra I'll take them off your hands :)

There are def things that I want to get for the tank, when the money comes around i'll be adding a lot more!

Thanks for all of your comments!

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
:welcome:Yessss, another Native Fish man, Really glad to see you here. Great lookin fish and tanks, I especially like the perch and punkin seeds, *w3

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining us and making this forum a better place. The pictures and film are wonderful and I want to thank you for sharing them. Please be sure to open a gallery for your photos and all so we can enjoy them more.

We look forward to watching as you get your tanks set up and completed. It would be wonderful if you opened a journal and started to post pictures and posts as you go along so we could all watch your progress.

Thanks,

Rose

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
:) I personally dont have any problem with your bare bottom tank, i like the look really, and its easier to maintain good water quality. The two 400 filters with bio wheels should take care of your bio needs as long as you dont over load, and do regular water changes. Im setting up a new 40 breeder for some fish soon and i think after seeing yours i will do it without gravel. I really dont do tanks in my fish room for looks anyway.Great lookin tank, keep up the good work.

Natives Rule *n1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sort of agree with you Jim. I sort of like the look of the bare bottom, and I know if i'm feeding too much or too little. They seem to get rid of every last drop of food at the bottom. I just need to add a few more plants and some logs!

Chickadee, that sounds like a great idea. I will try and setup that journal. Since the tank is already setup I can't do that part, wish I had. But i will start from this point forward.

Thanks a lot for all your comments! Talk with you soon!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Some of the nicest looking tanks I have ever seen have had bare bottoms and even some have had real plants with the plants "planted" in mesh bags of gravel with all the water and circulation they needed with none of the mess. It was lovely with the gravel showing through the netting and the bags of netting tied with fishing line to hold the bags shut. they looked ethereal in the water but held to the bottom with the weight of the gravel bags. The tanks looked so clean but complete with the greenery of the plants.

I have always wanted to set up a tank like that. Thank you for reminding me of them. The memory was a lovely one.

I will look forward to the journal. It is a lovely thing to do and a learning experience that will help many others.

Rose

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of the nicest looking tanks I have ever seen have had bare bottoms and even some have had real plants with the plants "planted" in mesh bags of gravel with all the water and circulation they needed with none of the mess. It was lovely with the gravel showing through the netting and the bags of netting tied with fishing line to hold the bags shut. they looked ethereal in the water but held to the bottom with the weight of the gravel bags. The tanks looked so clean but complete with the greenery of the plants.

I have always wanted to set up a tank like that. Thank you for reminding me of them. The memory was a lovely one.

I will look forward to the journal. It is a lovely thing to do and a learning experience that will help many others.

Rose

ROSE! Thank you so much for that idea! I can't believe I havn't thought of that yet! Thats EXACTLY what i'm going to do! Mesh bags with gravel and LIVING PLANTS! Without the mess!!!

I can't thank you enough, These fish are going to LOVE the tank once I get that done. I'm not sure if I should buy the plants from a pet store, or just go get them myself just like I do my fish! Any suggestions? I have access to all kinds of plants. I'm from the Oneida Lake area in central NY. Lots of water, lots of fish, LOTS OF PLANTS!

Thanks again everyone, thanks Rose!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome to the forum JA! Looks like you have a number of really nice specimens there in your collection. It will be great having you here with us!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forums JA - lovely tank and I think Rose's idea of plants weighted down with gravel is a great idea and it will make your fish very happy.

Enjoy it here we are happy to have you.

Marlene

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! I never knew NY natives could be so colorful!*J/D*

·
Registered
74 Posts
go to walmart for gravel i filled my 46 bowfront with 3 inches deep of gravel (very nice realistic style) for 19 dollars (six bags)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts