Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying either the 60 model 3 or the Ex 70. Does anyone have any experience with either one? Im gonna use it along with a canister on a 56gal. Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
i would suggest going with an AquaClear if you are going to use a HOB. other HOB filters, like te tetras youre looking at, rely on expensive and ultimately inefficient filter cartridges which need to be replaced regularly. this adds up to big bucks in the long run.
the AquaClear line of HOB filters runs off of a rinseable, reusable filter sponge that does not need to be replaced. it will cost you a bit more initially, but ends up saving you a ton of money in the long run. (not to mention, theyre some of the best filters on the market)

·
Registered
271 Posts
the problem is in the design of cartridge filters. even if you fill it with other media. most of the flowing water in the filter is bypassing the media rather than flowing through it.
where as the AquaClear filters are designed specifically to have the water flowing from the bottom up through all the media in the basket (the same way a canister works), cartridge style HOB filters flow from the back forward through the cartridges.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i have found the impeller housing of the AquaClears to be much more quiet. though you will still get the waterfall noise (with either filter) if your water level is not at the proper height.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
AC's are quiet, I run twin AC20's next to my head and I cant hear the filters at all.

aspect, thats what I ran into, but some ge-1 and patience and a drill stopped the bypassing of the water.

I was bored and was trying my ideas out on the unreturnable filter. its running just fine a year later.

·
Registered
271 Posts
hahaha. indeed. good ol GE-1. cant go wrong.
if youre willing to do a little DIY overhaul, you can improve just about anything.

·
Registered
149 Posts
dish418, Stay away from tetra HOB filters!
1. Noisy
2. Very powerful stream, in 10G tank, turns everything upside down*sh
(can be useful in some setups, but then again not in general setup)
3. Expensive cartridges

1 - 10 of 10 Posts