Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and have a couple of questions.

I set up a new tank on Friday, it's a 39 gallon corner tank. I've been using Seachem Stability to cycle the tank, and Prime to condition the water. I decided to forgo liquid testing, and bought Seachem pH and ammonia in-tank meters, and Nitrate/nitrite strips. The in tank meters are showing my pH to be a little high (I think), 7.8, and the ammonia to be high also, 0.2 ppm. The Nitrate and Nitrites are at 0. It has been this way since late Saturday. Should I not trust these meters, or is this normal. Also, the water is a bit cloudy. I'm running a Rena Filstar XP3 for filtration, it was a brand new filter when set up. I'm sorry, I don't know the kh or gh levels, thanks.

Edit: I plan on keeping lots on small, active tropical fish in the tank such as tetras and danios...maybe barbs too

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
welcome 2 the site! your ammonia spike is only natural-it means your tank is starting to cycle. first u'll see an ammonia spike, than the ammonia goes down and nitrites go up, and than nitrites go down and nitrates go up. is there any plants? if not, u need some plants. live plants help remove nitrates a bit. what color is your tanks clouding? if its white or gray it means the tank is cycling, if its green it means u don't have enough plants and u have algae. u should definetly get some gh and dh test kits.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Anything less than liquid testing kits are unrelaible. Been doing this for over 25 years and I have personally tried them all. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a complete freshwater testing kit. They will last you for 2 years. You can buy them cheaper online even with shipping than at pet stores at least where I'm at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts