Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 10 gal 20 x 10 tank with a top fin heater heater ( smallest they make) i have the temp set to lowest setting and the water temp is 84F
is this safe for my fish and does it sound high for the lowest setting.
i have 2 lamp eye tetras, 4 neon terta, 3 zebra daino, 3 snails 1 algae sucker and two ghoast shrimp

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
It does sound high. What is the temp in room your aquarium is in? And what type of lighting do you have? Have you tried running your aquarium without the heater? In warm weather I turn off my heater since the house stays warm.

Some lighting hoods have vents that you can open. If it does, keep them open while the lights are on. I've found a 4 degree drop in my small tanks with the vents open.

·
The Aquarium Expert
127 Posts
Your Temperature Is Too Hot!!!
Try Making Your Room A Little Bit Cooler, And Don't Let The Heater Go On.
Also You Can Try To Do A Water Change And Add Some Cool Water, But Don't Forget To Use Some Medicine For The Tap Water!!! ^_^

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
No medications needed just for warm water. If needs be take the heater out of the tank and remove the hood and cover with a piece of screen or plastic canvas and if possible run the filter at the highest speed for flow to stir the water up as much as possible to allow it to cool down faster. Change out about 25% of the water and add water that is no more than 3 degrees or so cooler than the water in the tank and then in a couple of hours repeat the water change again so as not to stress the fish with too rapid a cooling procedure. You can kill fish by cooling them too fast too.

Do 2 gallons of 81 degree water the first change then wait two hours and then do 2 gallons of 78 or 79 degree water and wait overnight to check what the temp is again. During this weather unless your room is dropping below 75 degrees I would not replace the heater until cooler weather.

I would not put the lighting hood back on or turn the lights on during warm weather as it can raise the temperature in a tank by as much as 5 degrees depending on the light you use and how long your light is on. There is enough light in the room to keep the fish going and unless you have plants that require a LOT of light a window in the room will suffice for them too. But for now the fish will need to be the main concern.

Hope this helps.
Rose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts