Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone has seen those dyed freshwater fish that are injected with green, pink or blue dyes. Yes I know it's wierd, cruel, mean, whatever, but I just came back from the LFS around the corner and now you can buy fish like that but they have names, hearts, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies etc on them. Crystal clear in flourescent colors. They even have them stripped and checkerboarded like a checker cab. I don't know how they do it but I think it's interesting, but yes, wierd.

Maybe I could make my hippo tang read "feed Me Worms" or "Eat at Joes"

I could make him green, pink, or purple all at the same time.

I could take a yellow tang and paint him to look like a moorish Idol. I'll be rich

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
1 time i saw the most beautiful balloon molly 1 could ever lay eyes on. it was shiny pearl-white and silver and had an extremely big dorsal fin-about twice the size the size of the molly-but, of course, they ruined the beautiful fish by splatting it with a heart tattoo on its flank.
Its a sad thing. I also see parrot cichlids that are COMPLETELY, SOLIDLY painted a new color, like dark navy blue or lime green. I really wonder how and WHY they do it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know everyone has seen those dyed freshwater fish that are injected with green, pink or blue dyes. Yes I know it's wierd, cruel, mean, whatever, but I just came back from the LFS around the corner and now you can buy fish like that but they have names, hearts, Christmas trees, Easter bunnies etc on them. Crystal clear in flourescent colors. They even have them stripped and checkerboarded like a checker cab. I don't know how they do it but I think it's interesting, but yes, wierd.

Maybe I could make my hippo tang read "feed Me Worms" or "Eat at Joes"

I could make him green, pink, or purple all at the same time.

I could take a yellow tang and paint him to look like a moorish Idol. I'll be rich
Is this possible?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Id rather get a nice yellow tang with a big red heart that says MOM on it.

I wonder if they attack eachother over the different tattoo's.

Paul, go for it with the Hippo, that would look cool and make a good conversation piece.

·
james :)
17 Posts
WTF? why??? not being racist but it must be an american thing :p we dont have anything quite that weird over in the UK. we dont paint them we just breed them until we get the colour we want :p. i dont think we can selectively breed them to have hearts on though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Probably because most Americans are stupid. I am an American so me saying it gives it some legitamacy most Americans are stupid. They carry them at my local pet store and I don't buy them. Just don't buy them so they can go out of fashion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
any dying tattooing of fish is cruel and disgusting...they strip them with acids to get rid of the slime coat take them out of water and tattoo them with those name/hearts anything, (yeah..tattooing on scales..go get one on your fingernail and tell me how it feels...after having 90% of it stripped away first).

it significantly lowers the life span and health of the fish...( yay! pet store makes more money...more dead fish)...the colors and markings fade with in a few months....so pointless and cruel.. your buying fish that are MEANT to die .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've read a little about this process and from what I can see it is most definately inhumane to say the least. Don't buy these fish and hopefully people will stop these practises.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's sick, discusting and cruel. I'd like to see someone at the LFS tattood using a straw or similar as this would be an equivalent proportional size. A tattoo needle to us is small but to a tiny fish.....sick!

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
I find that horrible personally. In my opinion fish are beautiful enough and adding a heart or something on them does not only sound painful, but ruins the natural beauty they have. It's also encouraging people with little experience or knowledge of fish to go and buy a one gallon bowl because they "want the pretty fish with the heart on it"

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Its a horrible thing to do that to fish that are beautiful in their own rights. But the whole thing actually started in Japan. It keeps happening because people buy them. If people were wise enough to not by these things it would probably stop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts