Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
treated meaining? RO or you just added those drops to the tap water?
id say that its risky.. i wouldnt suggest it....

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
If you use Am-quel, then it is perfect! that is what I always do with my tanks... I add a little extra to the new water though... I reccomend it! (if you're useng am-quel, the other stuff i dont know about. just dont change from am-quel to something else; i lost a betta that way)

·
Marine Aquarium Expert/Saltwater Section Mgr.
355 Posts
i never use any tap water. but i do saltwater freshwater??????? i still would not use tap!!!!!!!!! but that's just me RO/DI

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
City water is fine to use just make sure you use a dechorinater. Aquasafe is a product by Tetra and they been around for years. Just watch the temp of the water when you add it to the tank. For you people in area's that get snow or just really cold. The cold water will stress you fish.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont add the water into the tank until I get it the exact temperature of the aquarium water. The water I get is city water, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I use tap water for my planted tanks that I treat with Prime from Seachem. It neutralizes chlorine, and ammonia and has slime coat. I have never had a fish die from the water.

My tap has the following reading:

pH 7.0
kH 2
GH 2
Iron 0
Phosphates 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Because I have plant tank with pressurized CO2, I bring up the kH and GH to at least 3. This buffers the water so that pH will not fluctuate as much. I just add a bit of Acid buffer, and Alkaline buffer from Seachem. Originally I used a little Equilibrium to get the GH to 3 but you do not need to add any more because evaporation will naturally raise the GH if you have any hardness in your tap.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
I still reccomend using Am-quel with tap water. in fact, swiching to that stuff (the tetra) is what killed my betta!

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
I use seachem products... I tried others but I just like them better.....like a nice worn in shoes....
I feel the same way about am-quel. 'what works for one person may not work for another' ~Mr. Holder (marine science major, big SW fish tank fan)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Seachem works for everyone. ;)

What I try to do is stay with the same company as much as possible. Since I use Seachem's Fluorite, Fluorish, Excel, Trace, Acid buffer, Akaline buffer....it just made sense to us Prime as the dechlorinator.

(Molecular Biology graduate, Research Scientist) :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would not use tap water at all. I only use RO/DI. I purchased my own setup and it will pay itself off in the long run instead of always buying RO/DI water. just my .02

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, Cheeze, id suggest that you invest in a RODI filtration system- they arent that expensive if you find the right place to buy from (ebay.com) and can save you all the hassle of buying additional products to put in your water. I know city water is "fine" but if you look at the statistics of tap water, there are TONS of mechicals in them. Even filtered water is not great, the purest form of water is RODI.
Think about where it comes from, old rusted metal pipes that have been in place for what? 100's of years...
Millions of Americans each year die from Tap Water related problems, want you fish to die too??
Just a thought!
good luck!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you looking for an ro system make sure you check that you can find the filters for it.... I have two friends that bought them on ebay cheap and still to this day can't find replacement filters, also with RO you have to buy a ro additive that put back trace elements into the water.

Gold - please post me any article that you have that shows people are ding from city water..... there are more sicknessies from bottle water.... just ask any science professor about bottle water. In the past few years there been a big push to get people to start drinking city water because its safer than bottle also it more green. Growing up water was free, until the bottle water was marketed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have not yet seen an RO/DI unit that took a special size filter as the units are generic in physical size only the GPD ratings are different that I am aware of. You can just mix your RO/DI water with about 25-50% tap water to put trace elements back and also to stabalize your PH in fact most people I know say you have to mix it with tap or PH fluctuates very bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts