Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 common goldfish (Cleo and Calypso) and 2 vanilla lobsters (50 cent and SlimShady)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! I've had aquariums for a while but mostly self taught with a ton of research. I just set up a new tank about 3 weeks ago. I have a 55 gallon aquarium with 2 vanilla lobsters and 2 common goldfish. I am currently using a 55 gallon canister filter and a 30 gallon canister filter. I originally had them in a 30 gallon. I took the 30 gallon cannister filter and placed it in the 55 gallon. I let the 55 gallon cycle for 48 hours before adding fish with some old gravel from the 30 gallon tank. The tank looks fairly cloudy. I just checked the water levels and I'm sitting around 0.5-1ppm ammonia, 0.5-1ppm nitrite and 20-40ppm nitrate. I have quite a bit of algae growth but as long as the algae doesn't hurt the filtration system and tank cycling I'd prefer
just to have some in there. Are these parameters pretty normal at this stage with a new tank or is there something else I need to be doing? Thank you!
Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Machine Bumper
Rectangle Font Material property Slope Parallel
Water Plant Pet supply Fish supply Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2 common goldfish (Cleo and Calypso) and 2 vanilla lobsters (50 cent and SlimShady)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need to water changes to bring those numbers down. Best ammonia and nitrates at 0.0 to be cycled. A water change of 50% will bring your nitrates down by half.
Thank you! Will check them again tomorrow and see where we're at

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you! Will check them again tomorrow and see where we're at
Hi!
Also, you don't have to settle for cloudy water and algae, hon. There are many products out there that can eliminate these nuances for you, also, UV lights are awesome!! The cloudiness and algae gone!! I didn't believe it myself until I tried it!😃
Also, Seachem is very good with products that can bring your ammonia and nitrate, nitrites down as well!😃

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,797 Posts
Please don't start adding chemicals to clear things up. Once the cycle finishes add more plants, like java moss, ferns, anubus, even add a sword plant. Once the plant establish, they will out compete the algae. These are sturdy plants that the goldfish wont bother to much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts