Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Kat and I am new here...well sorta. I was here for a while 2 years ago but moved away with no net access! sad but true:( I'm happy to be back:)

I have a very quick question: my 16 gallon eclipse tank just died. The motor to the filter and lighting unit are totally dead. :mad::mad::confused::mad:

1st question: Does anyone know how to get a replacement for the hood unit and motor or do you think It would be cheaper to buy a new one?
2nd question: any suggestions for a replacement filter until I get a new tank or should I just do water changes every few days? My tank has sand with 3 small cories and a couple danios.

If you think I should get a new tank any suggestions for uses on the old tank? I spent almost 180.00 us dollars on this tank and would hate for it to go to waste:p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Kat, strange that both are not working, is there not a problem with the
electricity? Or are both working on a timer?
Anyway, you can do without a filter if you do regular refreshments, no
problem. Maybe you can buy somewhere a second hand filter?

Don't know about the hood, actually there is not many except for the
lamps or the timer that is not working anymore.

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kat, strange that both are not working, is there not a problem with the
electricity? Or are both working on a timer?
Anyway, you can do without a filter if you do regular refreshments, no
problem. Maybe you can buy somewhere a second hand filter?

Don't know about the hood, actually there is not many except for the
lamps or the timer that is not working anymore.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I think there must have been a power surge or something. I've plugged the unit into several outlets. I can hear the motor purring very very soft but its not moving the water at all and the bio wheel is not turning.
I think my fish wanted an upgrade I smell sabotage!!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open up the impeller assembly and see if its jammed with something or clogged with debris. Also make sure your water level is high enough, hate to point out the obvious but the eclipse won't prime up if the water is below a certain point.
THanks for the tips, nothing was clogging it but I did see some of my sand. I think maybe the sand in my tank killed my filter, does that sound strange? or the voltage jump killed it :( but I made sure the water level was high and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It's part of the intake tube system, the water goes into the pipe where it gets sucked upwards to the filter on top, that fan looking thing is called the impeller and I presume its jammed up. Thats the main moving part, its inside the black pump casing at the top of the intake assembly, twist that apart very slowly and then pull the fan looking thing out, its held in there by a shaft with rubber tips and its also magnetic, so give it a slight tug to pull it out. Then clean it off and inspect it to make sure none of it looks broken or worn down too bad. Those have a life of a couple years perhaps and they are fairly inexpensive to replace. If you have any question about if its worn down too much, take it to a local fish store and have them inspect it for you, or even post a couple pictures of it here even if you want us to take a look.

I think once you get to it and see whats inside there you may have found the problem. Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's part of the intake tube system, the water goes into the pipe where it gets sucked upwards to the filter on top, that fan looking thing is called the impeller and I presume its jammed up. Thats the main moving part, its inside the black pump casing at the top of the intake assembly, twist that apart very slowly and then pull the fan looking thing out, its held in there by a shaft with rubber tips and its also magnetic, so give it a slight tug to pull it out. Then clean it off and inspect it to make sure none of it looks broken or worn down too bad. Those have a life of a couple years perhaps and they are fairly inexpensive to replace. If you have any question about if its worn down too much, take it to a local fish store and have them inspect it for you, or even post a couple pictures of it here even if you want us to take a look.

I think once you get to it and see whats inside there you may have found the problem. Regards
Wow thank you for the detailed information of what to look for. I'm going to have a look as soon as I get home from work. Thank you very much!!!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Might look for lime or calcium build up on the magnet too.
I have had that happen over time at couple places lived over the years.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts