Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently found an insane deal on a 75 gallon tank (50 bucks) that comes with everything including heater, filter,substrate, and even some fish. the only thing missing is a hood and light set up. does anyone know a way to get a 48x18in hood for cheap.

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
48" long eh? That's the length of a flourescent shoplight.
If you do build-your-own lighting, close it up from any water or humidity leaking into the light box.

I gave up using shop lights in my fish room as the newer ones seem to burn out their light very quickly. After a few replacements after running into this problem I dismantled those units that weren't lasting and found cheap made electronics. The older shoplights that kept working all have the old heavy 'ballast' transformers in them.
I suspect the higher humidity caused them to burn out their bulbs in a few weeks.

I've converted half my lighting to the newer flourescent screw-ins, those 14W bulbs, equivelent to 60W incandescent.. Last forever, AND they are a heck of a lot less expensive than 18" - 24" bulbs.

Bob K.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Foster and Smith or Pet Solutions sell glass hood, as will as the plastic ones. You could buy the hinge and handel at either place and go to the glass repair shop and have thenm cut the glass to size and make it. Just make sure the glass does not have a UV protection in the glass.... Living things need UV lught

1 - 4 of 4 Posts