Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my Wife have a 29 gallon tank we are in the process of cycling. There are currently 2 angelfish, 3 mollies and 4 platys of various colors in the tank while it cycles. What are some good fish to go into the tank once it finishes cycling? I am a fan of gourami but dont know what kinds would co-exist with the angelfish. The 3 mollies tend to bully the other fish a little bit so a fish that can make them back down would be nice. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

P.S. the tank measurements are 30" by 12.25" by 18" tall. :fish-in-bowl:

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
In all actuality I wouldn't put anymore fish into the tank after it finishes cycling. If the fish you have survive the cycle you are looking at the livebearers having babies in the tank which some won't survive because the angels will probably eat them. And what does survive you will end up over stocked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our LFS gives store credit once fry reach a good size. We also have a breeder tank we will use for fry. So the current group of fish will not be increased by fry. :fishRed:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
u should absolutely never put a fish in while the tank is cycling. there is a 75% chance the fish will die. your tank is pretty much overstocked already.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pretty much all gouramis can go with angelfishes. If you have a large angel, and gouramis that are smaller than the angel, you'll be fine.

Dwarf Male Gouramis are okay to be with angels, but they tend to me more aggressive. Opaline gouramis.. well I had one and he pretty much ate the tail fins off of my black skirt tetra. Luckily I was able to save it :)

Lavender gouramis are wonderful, but extremely rare. If you want to have a lot of gouramis with smaller fishes.. GET A LOT OF PLANTS! a planted tank is best to have aggressive fishes in with dossial fishes...

Some person on youtube has fire mouth cichlids in with neon tetras :) but the tank is heavily planted :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree that you have too many fish in the tank while it is cycling, you are going to have to be very careful.

After the tank cycles, I think it would be okay to add a couple of dwarf gouramis. Blues and Pearls would probably be compatable, but they get fairly large and I think you would have an overstocked tank at that point.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree that you have too many fish in the tank while it is cycling, you are going to have to be very careful.

After the tank cycles, I think it would be okay to add a couple of dwarf gouramis. Blues and Pearls would probably be compatable, but they get fairly large and I think you would have an overstocked tank at that point.
Yehp, my blue gourami isn't so so big right now.. but I should have went to Big Al's Aquariums because they had bigger blue gouramis. I found out that they don't grow so fast. But I have some small neon tetras, so I give lots of food and a LOT of plants so then they can hide :) my angel is pretty big too and she's a bully. I didn't find a male for her yet :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts