Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am a newbie and have a few questions. I bought an already established tank 30gallons. I have had it for roughly a month. I have some neons, serpae tetras and black barbed tetras. I have done a couple of water changes now. My water parameters are always good. I want to change my filter set-up. I am using the hang on back one I bought with the tank. It has several frayed spots fixed with electrical tape on the cord and I don't feel it is safe. I have used it this long to make sure the bacteria were well established. I have changed the filter media and everything has stayed stable. I want to replace with same type of filter. Do I run both for awhile to make sure the biological media is intact? Does it matter that much at this point?

Thanks for your help!!

Stephanie

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
you could just switch to the new one, people have done it. if you want to be really safe about it i would run both for a while. thats what i did with my 55gal but then i just ended up leaving the other filter on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran mine for 2 days and had to pull one of mine b/c one of my fish jumped ship through the extra space in my hood. When i pulled it my ammonias stayed the same and my nitrates got lower as a result. I also switched from an aqueon 10 to an aquaclear 30 so that could have something to do with it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts