Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

I started my tank a few weeks ago (10 gallon) and one i finished cycling, i developed alot of green algae. I have 2 Danios in the tank right now. I put 2 algae eaters in once it cycled and they died in 4 days, plenty of algae left so they didn't starve. but to get rid of the grime on the gravel, i tried my siphon but the gravel did not come clean enough. So i pulled about 3/4 of the gravel and scrubbed it in the tub. 2 days after that, i lost my eaters. I checked my water and i found that my ammonias were up again. I cycled with the Danios and they're still going strong. Can scrubbing the gravel cause it to mini-cycle?

Also i was using an aqueon power filter 10. so my tank is still in its mini-cycle right now and a friend told me to use a filter rated larger than my tank and that it would help keep my algae down, so i bought an aquaclear 30. I have the filters running side by side right now so i can carry on whatever bacteria i have in the tank currently. How long should i run them together before i can lose the aqueon?

I shut the light off at night so excessive light isnt a problem. I feed them once a day sometimes once every 2 so overfeeding isnt a problem. any other ideas on the algae?

Also I'm moving in 2 weeks so whats the best way to move them?

I know alot of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
What type of gravel are you using? Is it reflective?
In just a few weeks time i have never seen green algae growth other than with direct sun or highly reflective gravel.
You might consider removing all but the fish, heater and filter, clean and re-start, about 1/3 water change. Add items back to the tank one every couple weeks or so until you find the problem.
Be sure the temp is good for the fish type and not too high.
I would tend to think the smaller filter would establish sooner and would be more than enough for the two small fish.
With those fish and your set up, water clarity should not be a problem. :)
Let us know how it goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts