Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old comet (4 lbs) was accidentally left overnight and part of the next day in his 80 gal tank without the filter/oxygen pump on. He has his regular feeding and and a routine tank clean was performed afterwards. The person I left in charge forgot to turn the pump on and I noticed the next day in afternoon. The fish had swallowed up, had red marking under skin on back and sides of body and was floating upside down gasping for air.
Immediate water replacement was performed and we have not fed the fish foe 2 days already. We are lucky he is alive but still floats upside down, he had a bowel pass once in long dark red (fish food flakes) poop. But he still cannot control his buoyance. He is getting better as sometimes can hold up for 5 minutes straight up before swimming and turning upside down. I do understand constipation may be a factor on his swim bladder, but the fact he spend about 12 hours in a tank with no oxygen is something I need to understand how did this is affecting him, so I can help him. Why his skin looks like he has been bleeding under? How do I know this has stopped and he is not suffering of some internal damage. He has bee alive for 3 days so far. Should I wait to feed until he passes more bowels? - Should I give the boiled peas to encourage bowel pass? Should I try to keep him straight up manually to help? or does floating upside down hurt him?
did he has (excessive air) inside him due to gasping on the surface when the tank had no oxygen? I am not sure if the upside down effect is due to constipation or air swallowed through the mouth. His gills look very dark red. They used to be a healthy dark pink. not sure his gills are damaged due to not been able to take in oxygen for many hour. I really need to be explained the situation and the best course of action and what to monitor for in order to help him.
He is alive and fighting. If anything I can do to help, please, let me know.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I imagine the redness is caused by ammonia build up from pump being off. I would feed the boiled peas for a couple of days at least to see if it helps. I don't know much about swim bladder in gold fish, but if you have a vet that you can ask about it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I imagine the redness is caused by ammonia build up from pump being off. I would feed the boiled peas for a couple of days at least to see if it helps. I don't know much about swim bladder in gold fish, but if you have a vet that you can ask about it.
Hi, THE FISH Lady here! Nice to meet you.
I don't mean to sound stupid but also an idea is to check online, if you haven't already, hon.
I'm sooo sorry...geez...sad...😢😢
This is what I'd do...darn...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts