Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my canister filter in my 10 gal tank yesterday when I got quite the shock. As I dumped out the water into my sink low and behold two baby corydoras are swimming in my sink. Fortunately I had a net nearby so i scooped them up and put them in my QT tank. I knew my female cory had been laying eggs, but I figured the eggs/fry had been eaten because I never saw any last for long. Plus 24 hours now and they seem to be doing fine.

Two interesting points here. #1 I'm never dump the water in my sink, normally it goes outside on the lawn, but it was snowing yesterday and I didn't want to go outside. #2, they must have been living in the canister for some time as they are now too big to fit through the filter intake screen. Guess someone or something was looking out for these little guys! Anyway, my family has grown by two unexpected arrivals. Free fish are never bad right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL sounds pretty cool, i think that would freak me out at first, to see something moving, when your not expecting it. So how long do you think they were in there?? Well good luck on your new addition lol

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Whew! Crisis diverted. I've found Oto fry in mine once. Somehow they got past the pre-filter. Always ensure that I pull that sponge up as far as it will go on in the take now to be extry cautious.

Congrats on the new additions.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
thank God for snow.

Congrats

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind wishes everyone! I'm not sure how long they were stuck in there exactly, but it's obvious they've been doing some growing as they are now so much bigger than the holes in the intake strainer. I hadn't cleaned out the filter in a little over a month, so I suppose they could have been there a while.

As I say, I didn't plan on raising fry, but now that I am anyway, I guess it's time for a prefilter sponge in my 10 gal. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I had gups like that, took the HOB off and cleaned it, removed the intake tune and there were baby gups another time a full grown male was in the impeller part of the filter alive and well(still alive). I drain mine into an old 18qt stock pot with a felt screen about 3" below the rim for a filter( got invasive plants so cant really dump my water without cleaning it first.

congrats on the cory fry, ive heard those are the hardest to tank raise. or even hatch.

you female is quite larger then your males right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Haha, that's hilarious! Congrats on the new additions...you've got quite a story to tell people when they check out your tank *pc

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
This is hilarious. Thanks for stories and glad the babies are fine.

Perhaps another reason I don't use filters? :)

my .02

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
congrats on the cory fry, ive heard those are the hardest to tank raise. or even hatch.

you female is quite larger then your males right?
Thanks. Yes, she's massive. But my males are only about 6 months old, so it's hard to compare. I'd estimate she might be 3" long, but she is very very round. And lays eggs like crazy when fed bloodworms.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
congrats! i found a young madtom catfish in the undergravel filter of a 55 at school today! i hadn't seen him for months!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was cleaning my canister filter in my 10 gal tank yesterday when I got quite the shock. As I dumped out the water into my sink low and behold two baby corydoras are swimming in my sink. Fortunately I had a net nearby so i scooped them up and put them in my QT tank. I knew my female cory had been laying eggs, but I figured the eggs/fry had been eaten because I never saw any last for long. Plus 24 hours now and they seem to be doing fine.

Two interesting points here. #1 I'm never dump the water in my sink, normally it goes outside on the lawn, but it was snowing yesterday and I didn't want to go outside. #2, they must have been living in the canister for some time as they are now too big to fit through the filter intake screen. Guess someone or something was looking out for these little guys! Anyway, my family has grown by two unexpected arrivals. Free fish are never bad right?
I had a 1/2 inch long Penguin Tetra appear out of nowhere one day. I couldn't figure out how something so big had escaped my notice, but I decided he was a good hider to have made it to that size. At least I had parents that time, another time a fish I had never laid eyes on appeared. About in inch long and skinny. I figured he must have come in with a new batch of fish and escaped attention. He lasted quite a number of years. Unfortunately, that summer we had a horrible heat wave and the tank water got overheated despite my best efforts. The Penguins didn't like it one bit and died, as did this stowaway, whom I had liked quite a lot.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I always dump my filters into a closed off sink, and check the waste. For the longest time I would have 4-5 cherry shrimp getting into my filters, and on rare occassions fish fry. They seem to like it in my filters and are probably safer in there.

The worst was when I found my bamboo shrimp in my UV output. He crawled into the output to filter feed. I did not see him and removed my UV filter to clean it out and change the bulb. By the time I got back to re-attaching the output nozzle, he had crawled out onto the table and dried up. :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always dump my filters into a closed off sink, and check the waste. For the longest time I would have 4-5 cherry shrimp getting into my filters, and on rare occassions fish fry. They seem to like it in my filters and are probably safer in there.

(
I definitely will always check in the future. I suppose since they are the only ones who survived, it's true that they're safer in there.

As an update, fry are doing great and eating sinking tablets and brine shrimp. They are in my 5.5 gallon with only a sponge filter and plants. I have a bazillion more eggs now, but I don't know when to move them into the fry tank. Or How. I assume I can cut open a soda bottle and collect the eggs in there then drop it in the tank? Anyone have experience or advice?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts