Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 55 gal freshwater aquarium with an oscar and a pleco that are both about 3 years old. We've had them about 9 months. Originally we had a sand bed in the aquarium but switched over to gravel a little over a month ago. For the past couple of days the Oscar has started exhibiting strange behavior... lol. He is going crazy moving gravel all around the tank digging pits down to the bottom. He's constantly picking up gravel and spitting it out on these hills he's making. Because of this, he exposed a sharp looking corner of this slate rock I have in there. I went in to remove it and he attacked me, which he's NEVER done before. He swims away and hides whenever I stick anything in the tank (gravel vacuum, net, whatever). I tried sticking my big net in there which I know he's afraid of, to shield myself while I went for the rock again and he charged at it. Idk what's wrong with him. We do bi-weekly water changes and I checked the ammonia levels and such and it's fine. Any idea what could be driving my Oscar so crazy? I'm getting worried for my Pleco b/c though he's big enough that the Oscar won't dare try to eat him, I worry he's getting bullied and may be seriously hurt. He constantly hides under this log thing I have in there or behind this other rock where the Oscar won't bother him now. Help please.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Probably nothing wrong,Oscars will dig and uproot plants and anything they can.As for the pleco they are pretty tough if he is big enough not to be eaten then he will be fine im sure!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Really strange... maybe he or she doesn't like the gravel.. I know that red devils may move gravel around. I saw it happen at the pet store I went to.

Maybe they like sand more than gravel :S My fishes don't go crazy about stuff like that... not even my big oscar in my new new tank.... Although have you ever asked the pet store about your problems with your Oscar? They may know more since they are the ones who ordered the fishes in all the time for customers to sell...

You can always try and get some plants in, and/or some other oscars. But I can't guarantee that you'll be successful to have the other new oscar to be alive...

just my guess :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Plecos have spiny fins and tough "body armor" that makes them pretty resistant to attack, even from much larger fish. I doubt your Oscar will bother him.

Meanwhile, Oscars are Chiclids, which tend toward aggressive, territorial behavior. They love to dig in the gravel and "rearrange" your aquarium decor, it's just what they do. This is all quite normal, no need to worry! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts