Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water used to be crystal clear. All parameters are perfect, no change. The only thing that changed is I added blue substrate to my natural colored substrate. I cleaned it thoroughly, or so I thought. Since I added it, my water has had a white cloudy haze. I did an immediate 30% water change (75 gallon tank). Water parameters still perfect. A couple of fish ended up with cloudy eyes, so completed a 7-day cycle of Melafix. Eyes cleared up, fish are fine. Did a 50% water change, vacuumed gravel...cleaned Fluval 470 filter, replaced plants, water parameters still perfect, added clarifier. Water still hazy.....what could it be!!

If the blue substrate is affecting my water, how do I clean it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could you keep on doing water changes and see if it clears up?? Perhaps you should try and bake the gravel for 40-50 mins which is what I do with any new gravel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you sure that this new blue substrate is not reacting with the water, a small test to check this is by using normal cooking vinegar, take some of this new substrate out of the tank, rinse it in fresh water, add it in another container and pour some vinegar on top of it, if it looses color or start creating some foamy substance over it, then this blue substrate will react with your water and you should remove it from the tank and make frequent water changes until everything settles back to normal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts