Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm new here, but unfortunately my first post is not a good one. I have a 10 gal. tank, and have been experiencing ammonia problems. I have been keeping them down with water changes, and the fish have been doing fine...until tonight. I did about a 50 percent change, and now my two angels are at the waters surface gasping for air. Before the change they were not doing this. I treat my water before it goes into the the tank with Tetra bio safe. I think the ammonia damaged their gills, but they weren't doing this before the change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jordan!

What does Tetra Bio-safe do ? Does it 'remove' ammonia ? If you have chloramine in your water and add a product that does'nt specify "neutralizes ammonia" it may break the bond between the chlorine and ammonia . The chlorine would precipitate from the tank but the ammonia would remain and potentialy leave your tank with higher ammonia levels than before the water change .
I have chloramine in my water supply but use no chemicals whatsoever. I just change the water weekly (50%) to stay on top of the components as they break down

I have had several experiences like yours though . For me , the difference in replacement water temp was to blame each time .

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
the bio safe neutralizes chloramines and chlorine. thanks for the reply
There you have it . I once used products that nuetralized chloramine but not ammonia and always had ammonia problems . No matter how often I changed the water.:eek:
It can work in reverse as well ,If you have chloramine and use a conditioner that only removes ammonia you will end up with high levels of chlorine after your water change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fish were fine the next morning, I think my problems were temperature related. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More great news... My ammonia spike is gone, and I believe the tank has finished cycling (thank god). I'll post a pic tommorow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts