Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 2 discus were always shy except when lights are off they come out and so does their coloring. We use to think this ment they are stressed or water conditions were off but this wasnt the case we spent a couple months checking everything getting it dialed in to a t. Now the other day we decided to change our substrate a little to add a couple rocks non live plants and more gravel. we did this slowly and after washing the new items we let them soak in a seaperate container with the actual tank water in it before we added them. after adding there was no major change in water tests. only difference, huge personalities from the discus ever since. just seems odd because we added more areas and places for them to hide and they are now doing the opposite swiming around alot more not skidish and way more active and alert even coloration is deeper. big change from what we are use to. any ideas as to what could be the cause here?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discus are high personality fish with a low comfort zone for change. Further you only have two and the only way two have ever been happy long term for me is if they are breeding. I have 17 in my main tank. Water conditions are first, but changing plastic or silk plants or glass vases that I use because they are decorative and they will lay on them freak them out. Give them what is consistant, the same water, decorations in the same location, and the attention you pay them when you feed them and watch them play. They will relax or they won't and putting it back will not make any difference because their scales are ruffled. The danger is that you keep changing things to try and dial in what they want and they stay frazzled. They have wonderful personalities, but they are not very smart. They forget you fed them ten minutes ago after all. Leave things alone as long as water conditions are good, feed them as always, talk to them, pet them, what ever you do to make them personalized that they like, and let them come back to you.

P.S. Mine actually have learned that I pet them when I feed them. It may sound silly but they want to be rubbed and touched lightly. When something has to be changed or does because I could not help it, they get great comfort from eating out of my hand and getting rubbed. It took time to get them accustomed to it but once they were, they are not as happy if I do not and I have a tool when they act like silly Discus. Here is the positive; Something changes, I have an upper hand so to speak in that they are used to me talking to them and rubbing or at least touching them when I feed them. It does seem to sooth them. Also... sometimes nothing you do will connect and you lose them. If your tank can support it add at least three more at the same time, AFTER, they have spent three weeks in your hospital tank. People talk about Discus like they are mystical and impossible to keep. They are mystical, ask them, but hard to keep is relative, follow the rules with zero tollerence and DO NOT DO TOO MUCH, and they will be fine. They want to shoal. They love more Discus. Human, you are not a Discus and they will not let you forget it, but try and be a part of the shoal so you can give them comfort when they act like stupid fish. (They aren't because YOU are an inferrior species; They are Discus and you are not; My shoal leader told me so.)

38 Year fish keeper and Dad to a bunch of silly Discus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts