Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I got a 15 gallon tank around 3 weeks ago and there are 6 nymphaea rubra, 6 anubias, one tiger lotus, java moss, and one java fern in the tank currently. I didn't quarantine my plants and I have around 10 pond snails in the tank right now, as well as a lot of brown algae. I'm planning on stocking my tank with fish/shrimp in order to control the snails. I want to understock the tank so I won't have to change the water too frequently. Does anyone have any recommendations of the type + amount of fish/shrimp I should get?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
8,319 Posts
One thing you must realize all fish will eat shrimp So it's best to get them established first. You do have lots of plants that will help, fish to control snails will decimate your shrimp in no time. Even with shrimp only tanks you will need to do water changes, best every 2 weeks. add fish to the mix, water changes should be done weekly. Start pulling out pond snails as they will breed rapidly. You can get a couple assassin snails Clea helena . they are a snail eating snail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing you must realize all fish will eat shrimp So it's best to get them established first. You do have lots of plants that will help, fish to control snails will decimate your shrimp in no time. Even with shrimp only tanks you will need to do water changes, best every 2 weeks. add fish to the mix, water changes should be done weekly. Start pulling out pond snails as they will breed rapidly. You can get a couple assassin snails Clea helena . they are a snail eating snail.
Thank you!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My chili rasboras are awesome in my 15 gallon with shrimp. They stay small and don't eat shrimp because the shrimp is bigger then them. 🤣 Also my ember tetras have never eaten my shrimp in my 37 gallon. They stay small also. But their is small fish that will never touch your shrimp. And even planted you'll have to do water changes. Keeps all the bad impurities out and the good in. I do 2 different days of 25% water changes on one of my tanks. The small tank gets one change in the middle of every month. The smaller it is the harder the swings are with parameters

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have seen these small fish eat babies and even tear up adults to eat them. There is no safe fish for shrimp. You have just been lucky.
Maybe, maybe not. Alot of other aquarist in the hobby have also told mee they have seen nano fish not eat shrimp. Most of my adult shrimp are almost an inch or so longer. My nano fish stay under an inch. Id like to see them try to eat one of my behemoth shrimps. And all my babies are surviving. That tank is so heavy planted that the fish can't even see the babies. 😆

1 - 6 of 6 Posts