Aquarium Forum banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

· Banned
11 Posts
susankat,

My hats to you building the thing by yourself. Did you build the stand and canopy too?

They are look wonderful.

A quick question. I see that you use sand in you other tanks too and they are heavily planted. I am trying to set up my first tank and want to put lots of plant and fish and trying to figure what substrate to use. I like sand (the look of it and usually its very cheap) but I read that with sand plants don't grow as good as they do in gravel or other substrate because sand compacts and hinders root development.

From your experience what do you think?
Hi ,do you know led aquarium light ?i suggest you can buy a led aquarium light for your tank ,it good for your plant's grow and the light is beautiful .

· MOD
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Hi ,do you know led aquarium light ?i suggest you can buy a led aquarium light for your tank ,it good for your plant's grow and the light is beautiful .
NO I don't do led's on that tank, don't want to. And please dont suggest it

· Registered
279 Posts
hey handsomedan.. i dont know if you have a tractor suplly near you or not .. but if you do they carry the black diamond sand if thats what your looking for..

where did you get the sand i really like the black, can you put a link to the website?

· Registered
148 Posts
all that will look really good with black sand! I plan to mix black and white sand when i get my three hundred gallon to move in my angels when they start pairing off.

· MOD
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Ok finally getting back to this thread. Lol been too lazy I think. Anyway the tank is now a cichlid tank and here is a couple of videos of it. Just click the pics.

As you can see there is a couple of large plecos in the tank.

· Cuddlefish
30 Posts
It will be a beautiful tank. I put mine 28 inches from the wall so I could walk behind & work on it. Then I built a rock wall 6 inches tall & the length of the tank, 5 inches away from the back glass & filled it with Flourite to make a raised bed for my amazon sword plants. I would suggest using three-quarter PVC PIPE to give it the look of Landscape Timbers instead of rock because it is alot lighter than rock. Just stager yuor cuts & use couplings to connect the pievs. Lightly sand the pieces so you can paint them brown. Mine are growing like crazy.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts