Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a 75gal for native fish. I think i need a permit to keep them though, so Im looking into that. But gonna keep bluegill and sunfish in there. Maybe a bass too, not sure yet.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I kept a breeding pair of red shiners for a while. Beautiful fish, especially the males during breeding season. I'd recommend looking into shiners

G

·
Dont need a permit to own them.

Just cant use them as bait in some/most states.

Most places have a "DO NOT RETURN TO WATER" species list and most the time sunfish and gills are on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really "cold" just room temp, so really 66F prolly. And the way I am reading the MI DNR State Law is that it is Illegal to keep a "gamefish" alive out of its fishing season unless permitted to by the DNR.

But maybe it has changed. I havent called them yet, just read that in the fishing handbook.

G

·
Wanna give me the DNR link?

And I can get you a firm answer on it, I now we keep game fish in every state in and out of season. Keep a game fish out of season means disobeying creel limits and taking during spawn( spawn is what is considered the off season )

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DNR link is michigan.gov/dnr

I cant find it, but i believe it was in the fishing handbook where I read it. I just dont want to break any laws and lose my fish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, panfish are in season all year, so we went fishing today and caught 3 bluegill, 2 sunfish, and 1 crappie. So that is a start to our native tank.

G

·
They usually are, Ive never seen any sign saying DO NOT TAKE PANFISH, they are like ants in most bodies of water.

What kind of sunfish?
what crappie?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a white crappie and the sunfish are pumpkinseed

G

·
Its been a few years since I got a pumpkinseed.

Those white crappie can get huge, thru the ice this past winter we were getting them in the 3# range.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, i've only caught them up to 12", but I've heard they get 18+ inches.

This guy is only 6" right now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, only the White crappie is still alive. The sunfish and bluegill died due to hook placement i believe, they swallow it so differently than the crappie, the crappie eats more like a bass than a panfish, so its hooks was only in the paper thin part of the mouth and is already completely healed. He is a cool fish to watch feed, due to it being wild caught, I am keeping it on a wild type diet of live foods.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

I still have the crappie and now I also have a White(striped) Bass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts