Aquarium Forum banner

Sources of Ammonia - Fishless Cycling

9K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  jrman83 
#1 ·
For those of you that have done this, can you give where you picked up the ammonia you used? I know it has to be detergent free. I can order online from Dr Tim's or other places, but wanted to get before this weekend. I have a 125g moving in and wanted to get the cycle started shortly after I get everything setup.

Please include the store name and brand name if possible.

#4 ·
Got mine at Ace Hardware store. Google the map store locator to see if there are any in your local area. Theres like 20 or 30 stores within a 50 miles distance of where I live. Or try other hardware stores or grocery stores.

Reactions: jrman83
#6 ·
Its Ace brand and the name of the bottle is Ammonia :p. Its not really "pure" ammonia, it has water and ammonia, but its the one you want for fishless. Remember to shake the bottle to make sure. If it foams and stays there, chunk it in the trash can, lol I'm just kidding. But if it bubbles and dissipates quickly, then take it home. It should be very cheap... I believe I bought mine for 2 or 3 bucks O.O

#8 ·
My wife just brought home some "aromatic ammonia" fro the drug store in a little brown bottle. It is 2%. It has Ammonium Carbonate, Ethyl Alcohol 65%, Lavender oil, Lemon Oil Tepeneless, Myristica Oil and Purified Water. $3.52. It does NOT foam when shook up. Will this be freshwater tank safe for fishless cycling ya think?

#18 ·
Add enough ammonia to reach 4-6ppm. Record the amount it took to get to that and add the same amount everyday until you start reading nitrites. Once you read nitrites cut your daily dose to 50%. Soon after you should start reading nitrates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.