Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had an aquarium running for a year plus now. It's a 5 gallon freshwater one. Before today, it was home to countless pesky snails and my nerite. When I measured the water params before cleaning, the readout was over 20 ppm. This was not ideal for the betta I added today, so when I woke up in the morning, I did a full water change and deep cleaned the gravel. I have also removed a large number of the invasive snails. Because of the effects it may have on the microbiome, I left the hanging filter alone. I cleaned the sponge/bubble filter though. (Yes I have 2 filters) did a readout an hour ago, and I'm reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5 nitrates. My question is this; do I have enough biofiltration in my tank to accommodate the betta comfortably? How closely should I monitor the specs of the water levels?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have had an aquarium running for a year plus now. It's a 5 gallon freshwater one. Before today, it was home to countless pesky snails and my nerite. When I measured the water params before cleaning, the readout was over 20 ppm. This was not ideal for the betta I added today, so when I woke up in the morning, I did a full water change and deep cleaned the gravel. I have also removed a large number of the invasive snails. Because of the effects it may have on the microbiome, I left the hanging filter alone. I cleaned the sponge/bubble filter though. (Yes I have 2 filters) did a readout an hour ago, and I'm reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5 nitrates. My question is this; do I have enough biofiltration in my tank to accommodate the betta comfortably? How closely should I monitor the specs of the water levels?
0 ammonia 0 nitrites, your biological filtration is fine. Nitrifying bacteria is much harder to keep nitrates at 0. More plants may help, nitrate reactor but 5 nitrates is pretty darn good

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
0 ammonia 0 nitrites, your biological filtration is fine. Nitrifying bacteria is much harder to keep nitrates at 0. More plants may help, nitrate reactor but 5 nitrates is pretty darn good
Thanks a bunch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts