Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Your motor make a noisy motor skip sound?
Tired of hearing "SKKKKKKK TSHHH and FRRR"

Well today im going to tell you how to fix the motor skip problem.
First drain your filter of all water...
Clean all (SAND) from filter system and wash in hot water...
make sure all of the sand is gone...
Next you take your motor system fill your bucket or sink with water not much...
Pull out your propeller and cotton swab then insides intil ur swab is dirty then swab again with fresh swab...
next watch your propeller in hot water then drop back in motor stick the mouth of the propeller in the sink or your bucket and plug it in run for 30 secs to 1 minute then repeat the swabing process after unplugging....
After swabbing clean twice u put your filter back to gether add your "TANK WATER IN FILTER THEN PLUG BACK IN" and 1,2,3 like brand new

NOTE: FILTER MAY make grinding sound for few seconds before stop grinding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Pull out your propeller and cotton swab then insides intil ur swab is dirty then swab again with fresh swab...
next watch your propeller in hot water then drop back in motor stick the mouth of the propeller in the sink or your bucket and plug it in run for 30 secs to 1 minute then repeat the swabing process after unplugging....
After swabbing clean twice u put your filter back to gether add your "TANK WATER IN FILTER THEN PLUG BACK IN" and 1,2,3 like brand new

and yes i just got word the motor is full submersible but i wouldn't submerge mine fully cuz i am afraid of getting shocked

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd like to hear from someone else who has tried this with success. I've just cleaned two of my Aquaclears yesterday. They've started making a horrible rattling noise. Both of them. I've had a sand substrate before and I know what sand in the filter sounds like very well. However this sounds like plastic on plastic. I've read many posts on the net from people who open a new box and have this trouble. I've used nothing but Aquaclear filters for the last six years. They've made having a tank a real joy. I've always been able to get the sand and crud out and keep them quiet. But this time it hasn't worked. Not sure why. They're spotless at the moment. *frown

·
Registered
30 Posts
Filter noise problem solved! They just need new impeller shafts. They were totally worn down to almost nothing. I had to take them out to see how bad off they were. I had a filter that I haven't used in awhile. I switched out the shaft and it's perfectly quiet. So I've ordered a couple and some back up from amazon. Thanks for the info.

·
What do fish think about?
3,684 Posts
I've had an AC50 for years, and I've noticed that the filter will run quiet when the impeller housing gets gummed up a bit with nitrifying bacteria (scum). When it's freshly cleaned, it will rattle a bit, but that will go away after a few days once its gummed up.

For sand, I have no experience, but I imagine a thorough cleaning as mentioned above will help things immensely. I've dropped the running motor into my cleaning bucket, and when it's not running as well, and have never had the motor fail on me. However, as it does not say it is specifically water-tight I would not submerge it fully. I think you won't have a problem inverting it and sticking the top of the motor into the water though. It's a water-tight enclosure except where the power cord enters the housing on the bottom of the motor unit.

One last suggestion - I would clean the filter in old tank water as opposed to hot water, so that you're not killing your nitrifying bacteria off.

·
22 Tanks = ADDICTED!
347 Posts
The Propeller has nothing to do with it grinding dude its sand in the motor touching the propeller making the grinding sound Please dont come on my post regulating my help thank you*w3
Calm down a bit. All he did was add a suggestion no reason to get aggravated. *w3

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts