Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My ph is going down how do i keep it up its really low right now dont' know what happen but i need to get it back up thanks:fishGreen:

·
Always reading n learning
95 Posts
My ph is going down how do i keep it up its really low right now dont' know what happen but i need to get it back up thanks:fishGreen:

Do you have a test kit?
If you do can you post what the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are?

There is a very simple and cheap solution. I find baking soda or sodium bicarbonate to be an extremely effective buffer and way to increase pH. What some people don't realize is that your tank has to be completely buffered before sodium bicarbonate will actually increase pH. This is desirable since at that point the pH swings will be far less noticable and more subtle and you can just add a little bit every week or two to maintain the pH.

For example, in a 75 gallon tank that is poorly buffered you might need 2 or more table spoons before the baking soda even BEGINS to increase the pH. In other words you will keep putting in baking soda and it will look like the pH isn't affected at all ! However, once the tank is properly buffered it will begin to increase the pH and once you get it to the proper pH you will only need a 3/4 tablespoon a week to maintain it at the correct pH.

In my 75 gallon reef tank I only need 3/4 tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate a week to maintain a proper pH. I also add a little calcium carbonate from time to time as well. Everyones tank may vary.

You need to increase pH slowly at first to give your fish time to adjust but once it is done it is very easy to maintain.

Make sure you check alk, cal, and ph. Do it very slowly

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am able to maintain my pH at 8.3. I check it at least once a week and have had no issues. I personally feel that (at the recommendation of my "aquarium guru") starting the original tank off with distilled water had a lote to do with it. He uses an RO system because he is on a well. Our city waterwhere I live is not the greatest as we are at the end of the line with some of the pipes 80 + years old.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you running a calcium reactor? Those will often need something to enhance the pH, such as Kalkwasser.. curious why yours stays below 8.0, please share more info.
My ph problem is very simple, well, maybe not that simple. No Ca reactor here. My house is always closed up due to living in Miami, so basiclly, we're just breathing our own Co2. I found this out a couple of weeks ago. The weather here got real nice and when I say nice, I mean 60-ish. So I opened up the house to refresh it and checked out my ph meter. My ph went from 7.9 to 8.24 in half an hour. As long as the windows are open, my ph doesnt fall below 8.1, even at night. Once I close the house up, it comes down. I have a Coralife super luft air pump(with 4 outlets) outside pumping in fresh air and it doesnt go any higher than 8.0. Im looking into a ERV( Energy recovery ventilator) Heat Recovery / Engery Recovery Ventilators - iaqsource.com to see how much its going to cost. I assure you that my ph issue has nothing to do with my water chemistry. I keep my # as follows;
Mag...1400-1500 Cal....400-440 Dkh....10-14 Po4, Nh3, No2 and No3.......0 and my O2 level tests out at 7ppm. Trust me when I tell you that I've tried EVERYTHING to no avail. Luna

·
Registered
8 Posts
ammonia is 0

nitratre is between 80 and 160 hard to tell the proper color but its high

nitrite is .50

ph is 6.15 i have a digital reader for that one....hope you can help me get this under control thanks

Do you have a test kit?
If you do can you post what the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are?

·
Always reading n learning
95 Posts
Sounds like your in a full blown cycle. Luna
Sure does

lets see

How long has tank been setup?
Has anything died in it you know about?
Is anything missing that might have died?
Is anything alive in the tank?
What do you feed the tank? Live food etc. etc
How often do you feed the tank?
What salt mix do you use?
Have you checked for bad salt?
Do you use ro or tap water?
What was the last thing you put in the tank?
What kind of filtering you using?

This come to my mind

You can be going through new tank syndrome.

I google it for you here is what it says.

Also referred to as "spiking" or "recycling", new tank syndrome (NTS) is something we can all experience at one time or another. Whether you have a saltwater aquarium that has just finished going through the nitrogen cycling process, or one that is well established and been running for years, it can happen. New tank syndrome is the term used when ammonia produced from the bio-load placed on a system begins to accumulate in an amount that is too great for the nitrifying bacteria population established in the tank to consume, and if the build-up of ammonia is substantial enough, nitrite will most likely begin to show up as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts