Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tiger balms are very good at making snails disapear... but that also means buying more fish... (They dont really get along with any sort of loach fish either...) how do you get the snails to breed in the first place? Do you just put a few in a tank together and they just breed? :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
you can try and control the snail population by killing them daily crushing them on the glass when out of there shell most fish will eat them. You can try bating them into a trap and remove the trap and thorugh them out. a plate with algea waffer works.... and finally snail eating fish,,,, you don't want a clown loach but a chain loach work will and stays small. Or you can use a product called had a snail its basicly adding copper to the tank, so make sure your fish are not overly sensitive to copper. remove the carbon from the filter as will and after snails are dead put new carbon in and that will absorb the copper. than replace the filter carbon in a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why do you not want a loach? I had a snail outbreak that I couldn't control. I was LITERALLY picking out 20-30 baby snails a day. That lasted for several weeks before I gave up. I went down to this fish specialty store in my area, told them the issue, and that the tank was full of guppies/mollies/platties, and they told me to get a skunk loach. Of course, his name is "Skunk" and in just a few days- I had NO snails. He ate them shell and all!

a picture of what he looks like- though it's not him. He won't come out long enough for me to get a picture!
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/loaches/images/SkunkLoachWFLo_Ap4A.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Most snails actually lay their eggs above water. If you keep your tank completely full they will have no place to put the eggs.

Snails will only breed if there is an abundance of food. If your snails are eating too much you are definetely over feeding your fish.

Snails normally breed when water temp rises. Keeping the tank cooler will limit breeding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thank you for responding. The reason i don't want any new fish right now is because i have baby plecos in my tank. Nor do I want to squish them. So to reword the question: Is there some animal/fish friendly way i can get rid of them:confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
The reason i don't want any new fish right now is because i have baby plecos in my tank. Nor do I want to squish them. So to reword the question: Is there some animal/fish friendly way i can get rid of them:confused:
If you have babies I wouldn't use the chemical additives. It's hard to say if they would be effected. You can try putting a fresh slice of zuccini on a plate in the tank. Each morning your will have snails on the plate. you can then pull them out. As a bonus, your baby plecos will like the zuccini too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts