Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do about the snails you find in your tanks after putting in plants? Do you leave them in or will that result in a manifestation of the little critters?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Depends on you. Do you like them? If so...keep em. If not...remove them now before they get overwhelming.

Either way....if they are pond snails as I suspect they are, they will quickly take over if you let them. You can pick them out when their numbers get large to help control the population.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Some snails are very beneficial in your tank by way of removing algae, but as is mentioned can become overwhelming. Se if you can figure out what type they are, then do a little research, It could be you might decide to let them stay awhile :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you like having some snails but don't want them to take over I have had some success in the past by introduction of snail predators. Depending on what type of tank you have there are some options. I have used round gobies (an invasive species here that is easy to get but I am unsure about the legality of keeping them), crayfish (very cool critters but will try to eat your fish and will occasionally succeed). There are also a host of very attractive fish that can used to feed on snails. Such as
Many types of cichlids and discus (Do some research here there are hundreds of them).
Puffers
Betas
Clown loaches
There are tons more but thats all I can remember off the top of my head right now.
Oh and if your going to go this route you need to make sure the fish are a litle hungry. Too much prepared food will often make them lazy and they will not touch the snails.

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i had some clown loaches for this problem, they rid the tank of them in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
an army of DPs would do the trick. *Glasses*

Can you imagine what say about 10 of these guys would be like in a 75g? *n1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts