Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a university student doing a project on freshwater snails, and I am looking to set up a small tank with a variety of species and color morphs or snails. I am interested in doing a Paypal purchase of mixed variety of snails. I only need one or two of each, just a good example of the species. I would like...
Apple/mystery snails (pomacea spp)
freshwater limpet (Ferrissia spp)
pond snail (physa spp)
ramshorn snail (Gyraulus spp)
trapdoor snail (viviparus spp)
trumpet snail (melanoides spp)
Spixi apple snail (asolone spp)
Freshwater nerite snail (family neritidae)
assassin snail (anentome helena)
Giant ramshorn (Marisa spp)
Any other interesting species would be great. Ideally, I would like to get all my snails from one seller, although I doubt anyone has all of these. I REALLY want the limpet, as an example of a snail that doesn't look like a snail. These guys will be put in a nice tank (with the assassin kept separate if I get one), and put on display for a week. They will then be kept as pets, because I personally think snails are pretty cute. Being a student, I'm not exactly rich, so any deals will be greatly appreciated. I can trade you a gray fox skull if you'd like (odd, I know, but I also work with a lot of skeletal prep at school).
Thank you for your time,
Anna.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello anna your project sounds very interesting, I would ask though that you let us know roughly where you are ie USA or Uk etc
I would suggest you try to get the cold water snails from a local pond to preserve your budget for as long as possible, then try a local fish shop for some free Malaysian trumpet sand snails as they often give them away. After that I would try applesnail.net as It has many scientists involved that will probaly have lab tanks full or various snails. Good luck and let us know the results of your study.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, good idea! I found the forum there, and posted my list there also. Hopefully someone, somewhere will have some snails for me! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you keep an assasin snail you wont be able to keep any others together or the assasin with hunt and kill/eat them

try the LFS to see if they have any pond snails or trumpet snails. I got my trumpet population for free by getting a few from teh LFS for a while and then the took off....

good luck!

-Brandon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi if u are interested I have some beautiful purple stripped briggs I need to rehome, they are pea-BB sz. pm if interested. oh where are you located, I will have some spixi babies in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I've managed to get a hold of a few of them, but thank you for offering! Right now, I just need assassins, nerites, or limpets. These seem to be the hardest to get. I've seen a few assassins for sale, but I can't afford to pay 20$ for ONE snail. Nerites are also expensive and hard to find, and limpets are usually considered pests and destroyed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts