Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new plant for my 5 gallon and it came with a few tiny snails that I'm sure just hitched a ride from on the plant. My question is when I use the gravel pump do i have to worry about sucking them up or will they just ride it out. They are very small so they would fit in the tube very easily.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They will get sucked up.
One quick and easy ay to get rid of snails is to place a lettus leaf in the tank at lights out.

Wait about ann hour, then remove the lettus leaf.

The snails will be on the lettus leaf and be removed from the tank as you remove the leaf.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You have snail congrate... most tank that have live plants in them will have snails. there are 3 main methods of dealling with snails

1. bait and remove them and or smash theon the side of the tank, your fish will eat the bodies.

2. get a fish that eat snails

3. get a product called had a snail, follow the instruction on the bottle

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I must have worded the question wrong because the problem is that I don't want to get rid of the snails. However, I am turning the tank into a crab only tank so they will probably get eaten by them sooner or later.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
You will want to get rid of them as they will be 1000+ snails in very short order if you do not do something to control them now. There are good snails to have and bad snails to have and the ones that come in "volunteer" on plants are generally the bad kind. True if you are going to put crabs in the tank they will probably take care of the problem but if the tank had been planned for fish, they would have had to be disposed of. They would be health hazards for your fish and eat your plants as fast as they grow. Plus they add a horrible amount to your bioload.

Rose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts