Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Clown Loach has been recommended to me for controling snails in my tank once I dedide to add plants. My problem is that the Clown can grow more then I would like. My tank is a 46 gallon bowed design. I've choosen community fish (Neon Tetras, Gouramis and shrimp and such) which are all smaller size fish. I need a species that will eat the snails and if possible, also eat any unwanted algee. Is there such a species or could anyone recommend anthing? I will use two species if I need to. I'm mainly concerned about the Tetras and the shrimp (blue claw wisker type).

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is no reason at all that you need to worry about a snail overgrowth just because you plan to add plants. I've never had this happen. Snails proliferate when there is excess food (dead plant matter, excess fish food) and if you control those then you won't have a problem. Rinse your plants off well before putting them in your tank (many recommend a very weak bleach solution dip) so avoid transferring unwanted visitors to your tank.

Yoyo loaches are wonderful, though! They need soft sand, however, as they like to bury themselves.

Also, you won't find a critter that will eat snails and algae too. You need a strict herbivore for algae. Chaetostoma -rubberlip pleco, or Ancistrus - bristlenose pleco are good, neither get very large and are good algae eaters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like Oto's for the algae....And clown loaches are very slow growing, it'll be years before you have to worry about them outgrowing your tank.........z

·
Registered
6 Posts
a young pleco would do the job for algaes. they aren't choosy and hardworking. give them away when they grow too big for your tank(takes a few years if you get a really young one.)

would suggest removing the snails manually and don't overfeed your livestock for control....

cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts