Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my first post. :eek:

so heres my problem. I have these odd white things in my tank. I tried to rub them off with everything from a scrubber to a razor, nothing worked. I have some pictures here and was wondering if anyone can tell me what they are, and if they are bad. Also they do not move AT ALL and also seem to only form on my internal overflow. Here's some pictures.

0509082155-01.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0509082155-01.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Heres some info on my tank setup. As far as I know the only water quality problem I have is high nitrates (around 80 ppm). the only thing alive in there is some live rock (about 60-65 lbs) and a chocolate chip starfish.

72 gallon bow front.
marineland tidepool
protein skimmer
uv
automatic topoff system
t5 atinic lights

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Those are feather duster worms, nothing to worry about. They secrete a hard shell in the form of those white tubes they live in. Their mouth is the feather that comes out to filter-feed.They can deplete calcium levels in the tank, so if growing stony corals is your thing, you may want to keep them in check.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ive had my tank for over 6months and i havent had any of those.. why do some tanks get them and others dont?

·
Registered
119 Posts
most of the time they come in on the live rock you purchase...they should be able to be scraped off the glass with a blade though...mine come off my live rock easy enough with a pair of tweezers..

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts