Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 5 gal tank with a couple goldfish in it at the office right now. Its boring. Everyone has seen goldfish before. What are some interesting things I can put in there that maybe you don't see in an aquarium? Thinking along the lines of plantlife, snails, shrimp, crab, etc...

Bought a setup with a small filtration system but outside of that everything must be pretty hardy, easy on the environment (so I don't overload the tank), low light, and fine at room temperature (maybe a little higher with the light turned on). If the suggestion is cool enough I am able to change the substrate and plantlife if needed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
I've got a 5 gal tank with a couple goldfish in it at the office right now. Its boring. Everyone has seen goldfish before. What are some interesting things I can put in there that maybe you don't see in an aquarium? Thinking along the lines of plantlife, snails, shrimp, crab, etc...

Bought a setup with a small filtration system but outside of that everything must be pretty hardy, easy on the environment (so I don't overload the tank), low light, and fine at room temperature (maybe a little higher with the light turned on). If the suggestion is cool enough I am able to change the substrate and plantlife if needed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
I "built" what I call the neon nano from a 1g jar to test a substrate with neon tetras. That was two and a half years ago and a neon is still there.

What I did was 1" peat moss, 1" sand, 1" pro choice select (or aquarium gravel) with micro swords and a couple of anacaris. Lighting was just a 10w spiral pigtail in a clip on round reflector.

No filtration (other then the plants) and no circulation. Just the jar substrate, fish, water, and plants.

Tap water with no water changes.

Seems to me a nice school of neon tetras in a 5g would be interesting.

just my .02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts