Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help. I have owned tanks 20 years ago. This might sound crazy but had a 100 gallon with under gravel filter and never experienced bacteria bloom. I also never used chemicals such a dechloriner. I used a python to vacuum and add straight tap water and my jack dempsys were healthy and grew like crazy. My puppies even would eat out of my hand. Now moving forward, I decided to get back in the hobby and purchased a 75 gallon square tank acrylic. I have since went through the bacteria blossom, de chlorinate the water during water changes. I have a unique tank that came with its own generic filtration that I didn’t like due to it was installed in the hood of the tank which made water changes impossible. I have since removed that filter and installed a Tidal 75 and an aquarium coop sponge filter. I now have 10 African cichlid’s, 2 placos. Excuse my spelling and also every fish are less that 2”. I have had this tank up and running for about 7 weeks but no matter what I do it maintains a slight haze in the water. I have to date never saw that crystal clear water. I have been extremely patient and only have done about 15% water changes every 2 weeks. Any advice would be appreciated. 75 gallon acrylic square tank, Tidal 75 HOB, Aquarium coop sponge filter and a wave maker I have yet to install. Zero over feeding. Suggestions??

·
Registered
154 Posts
I need a little help. I have owned tanks 20 years ago. This might sound crazy but had a 100 gallon with under gravel filter and never experienced bacteria bloom. I also never used chemicals such a dechloriner. I used a python to vacuum and add straight tap water and my jack dempsys were healthy and grew like crazy. My puppies even would eat out of my hand. Now moving forward, I decided to get back in the hobby and purchased a 75 gallon square tank acrylic. I have since went through the bacteria blossom, de chlorinate the water during water changes. I have a unique tank that came with its own generic filtration that I didn’t like due to it was installed in the hood of the tank which made water changes impossible. I have since removed that filter and installed a Tidal 75 and an aquarium coop sponge filter. I now have 10 African cichlid’s, 2 placos. Excuse my spelling and also every fish are less that 2”. I have had this tank up and running for about 7 weeks but no matter what I do it maintains a slight haze in the water. I have to date never saw that crystal clear water. I have been extremely patient and only have done about 15% water changes every 2 weeks. Any advice would be appreciated. 75 gallon acrylic square tank, Tidal 75 HOB, Aquarium coop sponge filter and a wave maker I have yet to install. Zero over feeding. Suggestions??
Hi!😃 The Fish Lady here!😃 nice to meet you, Sir!😃
Wowzyyy! Your aquariums sound awesome, our fish buddy!😃😃
Okay, was the acrylic aquarium "clear" when you purchased it new or used?
If it was, our suggestion is for you to purchase a uv system.
Crystal clear water is attainable!😃 our aquariums are; seriously! But, then again, we have uv systems in place, Sir, and they are reasonable too!!
We were experiencing the very same thing for months when we were "newbies" to the hobby but I'm very good at research and located the culprit!😂😂😂 you'll be pleasantly surprised what they're capable of!😃 I do hope this is useful and you gain a piece of mind because I was going nuts over this! We understand, Sir!😃

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank was spotless and clear. Not new to this but still can’t clear light cloudy water? Not milky like a bloom but still not crystal clear. I can do water changes that seem to help for a day or so but still wind up with the same results?? I love this as a hobby and will do whatever is needed. I will also add, the fish are healthy and loving their environment

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Susan. The place to always start is knowing your water. If you don't already own one, get a Good test kit & do what it says slowly, (Caution: Sudden Changes can Harm Fish). And never just treat your water using LFS suggestions, YOU already know more than most of those folks. 🙂

·
Registered
154 Posts
The tank was spotless and clear. Not new to this but still can’t clear light cloudy water? Not milky like a bloom but still not crystal clear. I can do water changes that seem to help for a day or so but still wind up with the same results?? I love this as a hobby and will do whatever is needed. I will also add, the fish are healthy and loving their environment
Hi, again!😃
You need to do what Susan has mentioned about your water parameters which is very wise. But, don't discredit a uv system as well. I'm talking about experience here.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,797 Posts
UV filters are fine, but you need to get to the root cause. In all my years the only time I used a uv filter was in a tank of green water, so green you couldn't see through it. But the tank was getting to much sunlight, once moved tank cleared up on its own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not convinced that UV doesn't kill good bacteria as well. The only time I would use it is on a used tank that bought a yard sale & wanted to purify along with about a week of chlorine on the bare tank.
Most of the fishes & inverts i kept were too dear to me to take chances & the salwater fishes are not cheap to replace.

Reactions: susankat

·
Registered
154 Posts
UV filters are fine, but you need to get to the root cause. In all my years the only time I used a uv filter was in a tank of green water, so green you couldn't see through it. But the tank was getting to much sunlight, once moved tank cleared up on its own.
Hi!😃
You are totally right, my fish buddy.
But, I'm just trying to add a little help, that's all. I know that they have helped me out a lot. Made me less stressed and now, I'm NEVER go without one. There's one in every one of my tanks!😉

1 - 9 of 9 Posts