Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I have a JBJ 12g nanocube. It was running fine a few years ago, but it crashed and I didn't have the money to reinvest in it. So I let it sit dormant for a few years until a few weeks ago. I have bought new lights and a new pump. I just purchased my substrate today and I've had my rock for a few weeks now. I'm debating on a skimmer for this tank. Does anyone have any idea what brand of skimmer would work, or if it would even be worth the money. I didn't run one on it last time and didn't seem to have too many problems with it. From what the LFS said, do more water changes and you won't have to worry about a skimmer. What's your thoughts on that? Should I spend the $45 on the skimmer and do water changes less often, or spend the money on water?

·
Reefer
213 Posts
look at it this way bud. $45 is a cheap investment for a sw tank... especially a reef tank. also with such a small water column your water parameters can change in the blink of an eye. personally i would make the investment especially on a nano. more water changes is good but a skimmer can be priceless.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
$45 isnt enough for a quality skimmer. the 2 best brands cost at least $120-tunze nano and saphire

Reactions: eagleANTH

·
Reefer
213 Posts
even a $120... i can think of a couple frags i have that cost about that... a skimmer is a priceless piece of equipment especially on a small tank which i believe is almost a requirement and not an option.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Actually, a ot of people say skimmers are completely unnecessary for a nano. i totally disagree with those people:)

·
Reefer
213 Posts
im with you on that... any bit of additional filtration you can get in one of those things is absolutely necessary. i wouldnt ever trust my corals to a system without a skimmer. although if you have ever read one of bobs posts he does alot without "conventional" filtration. he uses alot of macro algae in the display and he tops off with tap. he has a very interesting way of running a tank.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've had my 12g nanocube reef for several years now and think a skimmer would be a waste of money. I do 25% weekly water changes and have never had a WQ issue; my corals grow like crazy in there. If you're planning on keeping SPS, that's a different story though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts