Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our poor 3 year goldfish (won at a carnival) has been suffering with what I am guessing is severe fin rot and fungal infection, and possible septicemia. We were lazy about changing his water for a couple of months (horrible, I know!), and his 10 gallon tank was in rough condition. Starting 3 weeks ago, I did daily 50% water changes and added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt and 5 ml Stress Coat every change. I also attempted to use Milafix and Pimafix together for roughly one week with no success. He is now on Day 4 of Maracyn Two antibiotic treatment (I haven’t changed the water since starting Maracyn Two). He continues to sit at the bottom of the tank, still breathing and looking around. He hasn’t eaten in nearly 2.5 weeks! I imagine he’s going to pass any time now. I don’t know what else to do. Any advice? 😩

·
Super Moderator
8,287 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear he’s having such issues. Fin rot is usually a water quality issue so upping his waterchanges will help. Also it seems he’s a common goldfish so if he pulls through look into a larger tank as he would benefit from having a couple other goldies, or if at all possible a pond. How is his filtration and flow? And what are the exact parameters? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/Temp?

In my opinion any of the “fix”es are not really reliable medications, it’s just tea tree oil. I’m not well versed in medicating goldfish, but to me that looks like he is losing his slime coat. Possibly try some coppersafe in case it’s due to a parasite, as it does seem to have some gold flecks on the substrate.

Good luck and keep us updated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts