Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my biowheel wasn't spinning so I was investigating and pulled the filter cartridge (penguin biowheel 200) and I noticed a baby shrimp on it! So I keep looking the thing over and must have gotten 20+ live babies off the cartridge!

How are they getting into the filter? I put aquaclear sponges over the filter intakes, which I thought would keep my shrimp from getting sucked in.

Can/should I run the HOB w/o the cartridge? That way they would get dumped back into the tank at least.

The tank is a 30g with quite a few plants. And with the sponges on the intakes, I would really only be cutting out the chemical (carbon) filtration right?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
my MTS babies get thru the sponges and into the filter boxes some how. I hear the occassional unlucky one get hit by the impeller repeatedly..... Ive cleaned my AC70 alot but a few cleanings I have found full grown adult guppies in them.

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya there were snails on the stuff to, but I don't care about them all that much. They reproduce at a crazy rate anyway. The shrimp don't reproduce as fast, so I want as many of the babies to live in the tank as possible

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
my issue with shrimp is they never make it to the bottom, if you might be able to get the babies in a cup then dispense them near cover towards the bottom the survival rate might be alot bigger.

congrats on the babies in a community tank.

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my issue with shrimp is they never make it to the bottom, if you might be able to get the babies in a cup then dispense them near cover towards the bottom the survival rate might be alot bigger.

congrats on the babies in a community tank.
Thanks

I have lots of babies in the tank. The betta leaves them alone. I haven't seen him eat one yet. He does swim up to them though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts