Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I went to my LPS (not a big chain like petsmart or petco)*#666 and looked around. I looked in the tank that they were keeping the needlenose gars in. They had one that they weren't really taken care of. He was long and narrow but kind of curvy in some places, almost like they forgot to feed him*frown. I am thinking about going back tonight and getting him for my 20 gallon and add the longnose later on (whenever it is in stock). Should I combine the two types? Should I get another tank for him or just divide the setup? I can't just wait for him to die in a small tank because no one in my LPS knows how to care for one.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
All the needlenosed gar ive seen are long and skinny, but the curvey part bothers me, could be some kind of genetic defect in the fish that will never correct itself. These are asian gar, and get only about a foot long when mature. They require warmer temps than domestic gar, but feed essentially the same way and can choke down some pretty good size prey. If the ones you saw are Too skinny and bent in places, Id leave them where they are.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Those are culls not meant for pets to the breeder.

If it doesnt have the same density from head to anus then pass on it, or buy it take it home let it die then return it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts