Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Marine Aquarium Expert/Saltwater Section Mgr.
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whats everyone think about a shark in a reef tank? i just got the shark today i no he will out grow my tank fast but no worry's my buddy just got a 360 gallon tank made so when the shark get's to big for my tank it will go in his . take a look at the pics. in my photo gallery .its hard to see him. but you will get the pic thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well I dont care for them in a reef because they tend greate a large bio load in a tank and without a large sump/fuge and a large and very good skimmer it tends to effect corals at least that is what I have seen. Was your shark eating before you bought it because they can be difficult to get to eat. Best of luck with him oh and I do like the looks of sharks and love seeing them in FO systems.

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya he eats i made shore they gave him silversides . thanks

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i run a g4 skimmer and a 50 gallon sump and a 15w uv

·
Registered
9 Posts
whats everyone think about a shark in a reef tank? i just got the shark today i no he will out grow my tank fast but no worry's my buddy just got a 360 gallon tank made so when the shark get's to big for my tank it will go in his . take a look at the pics. in my photo gallery .its hard to see him. but you will get the pic thanks
Hi putting a shark in a reef tank will lead to HUGE problems not only will your rock and corals being knocked down your water quality will not be able to support your corals due to the amount of food have to feed and the wasted food that comes out as a cloud out of the sharks gills when he eats,,,plus his chances on scraping himself on the rock and getting an infection are a pretty good chance,,sorry to be the bad bearer of news but just trying to save you the headaches and som money,Take care-Jason.

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info but i dont think he will be in the tank to long thy grow fast is my understanding so he will need a lager tank thanks

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
what species is it? we've had a banded cat, snoopy, for about 3/4 of a year and he has been perfectly fine in a 125 gal except for some occasional rubbing on the rocks. he is very docile and i've never seen any agressive behavior to or from him. he lives in our tank run by a 104, 105, and 304 fluval canister filters, 2 corner filters, 1 tiger shark powerhead, and some other, deep blue powerhead-filter that hangs from the inside of the tank like the tiger shark, some clams that serve as biological protein skimmers, sand substrate with a thin layer of crushed coral.

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
he is a Common name: Coral Cat Shark
Scientific name: Atelomycterus marmoratus

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice shark.
No it's not a good idea to keep a shark in a reef tank. The smaller species of shark tend to rub on the bottom and rocks alot in an aquarium and most corals either sting or have sharp edges that will harm the shark and cause risk of infection.

You have yourself an actual cat shark. That shark will reach a maximum length of about 16" inches up to almost 2' feet in some cases.
The banded bamboo shark is commonly confused with catsharks but is not even related. The catshark is very hard to find because of it's popular small size and therefor the banded bamboo is everyones second selection since they are easy to find but they reach a size of almost 4' feet.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
I couldn't agree more with everyone; sharks and reef tanks are not a good combo for all the resons stated above. Be kind to the shark and move him soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts