Aquarium Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi! 馃槂
Just checking on you, kiddo...are you all okay? You got all quiet on us...did you like the pictures?
I love the pictures I鈥檓 sorry I just work long hours! So I just hit my tank with ammonia Earlier today. ~3ML

I finally got a reading on my ammonia alert dial. I don鈥檛 know what to do next lol what do I do tomorrow more ammonia, wait, test, ask God馃槀馃槀

At least now I do have some ammonia but I don鈥檛 know what the next step is. I put my filter moss into help with the cloudiness too.

Attachments

Registered
I love the pictures I鈥檓 sorry I just work long hours! So I just hit my tank with ammonia Earlier today. ~3ML

I finally got a reading on my ammonia alert dial. I don鈥檛 know what to do next lol what do I do tomorrow more ammonia, wait, test, ask God馃槀馃槀

At least now I do have some ammonia but I don鈥檛 know what the next step is. I put my filter moss into help with the cloudiness too.
Hi, there!馃槂
I understand...it's ok...
I guess Susan will have to lead you through this because I do not ever want ammonia, nitrate or nitrites in my aquarium water; nope! That was her suggestion not mine and actually, I'd love to know the purpose of "putting ammonia" into your aquarium though? I ALWAYS will remove these things; you know? I've had nitrate spikes that have killed my babies; yuck...
She'll let you know, I guess...馃槼馃槼

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Hi, there!馃槂
I understand...it's ok...
I guess Susan will have to lead you through this because I do not ever want ammonia, nitrate or nitrites in my aquarium water; nope! That was her suggestion not mine and actually, I'd love to know the purpose of "putting ammonia" into your aquarium though? I ALWAYS will remove these things; you know? I've had nitrate spikes that have killed my babies; yuck...
She'll let you know, I guess...馃槼馃槼
Well I actually know why ~ because it鈥檚 been up for a week and I鈥檓 just sitting here waiting for it to cycle lol it鈥檚 not going to cycle without ammonia starting it first so this is going to start my cycle. That鈥檚 what I said on my other form which I love, I said:

So we never want ammonia in our tanks but I鈥檓 going to add ammonia Only to take it out?

And yes so I bought the bottle of ammonia that was suggested and I hit the tank So now I have ammonia and that鈥檚 a good ( thing I don鈥檛 have any fish remember that ). This is a fishless cycle!

Usually I would take sponges from another tank to cycle this tank, but I don鈥檛 have any more tanks! And no we never want ammonia in our tanks ~ a well cycled established tank with fish馃槈

Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
Ye the ammonia works cycling a tank. You will add ammonia ever other day to bring level up for at least 3 weeks. It help build and feed your nitrifying bacteria in your filer and all deco and substrate.when you star seeing high nitrites it will soon start going down, showing that the nitrifying bacteria is working,once nitrites reach 0 your ammonia will drop. Add ammonia to 3.0 daily till ammonia drops to zero. Add again and if the ammonia drops to zero do a large water change. If still zero next day Add fish and plants as you are cycled.
When you don't go through this process you are basically cycling with fish for the ammonia source and the tank rally isn't fully cycled for 6 months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ye the ammonia works cycling a tank. You will add ammonia ever other day to bring level up for at least 3 weeks. It help build and feed your nitrifying bacteria in your filerand all deco and substrate.when you star seeing high nitrites it will soon start going down, showing that the nitrifying bacteria is working,once nitrites reach 0 your ammonia will drop. Add ammonia to 3.0 daily till ammonia drops to zero. Add again and if the ammonia drops to zero do a large water change. If still zero next day Add fish and plants as you are cycled.
When you don't go through this process you are basically cycling with fish for the ammonia source and the tank rally isn't fully cycled for 6 months.
鈥淚t help build and feed your nitrifying bacteria in your filer and all deco and substrate

But I don鈥檛 have any bacteria in my filter for substrate, yet right? My tank has been up a little over a week.

鈥淵ou will add ammonia ever other day to bring level up for at least 3 weeks.鈥

OK this is good! The same amount that I added yesterday right? Bring the level up of my ammonia
until I鈥檝e seen nitrites?

鈥淎dd ammonia to 3.0 daily till ammonia drops to zero. Add again and if the ammonia drops to zero do a large water change. If still zero next day Add fish and plants as you are cycled.鈥

Susan ~ so once I鈥檝e seen nitrites I am going to continue until I see zero for nitrites. Then I will add ammonia daily until that becomes 0. 3.0 is 3ML, yes?

If it鈥檚 zero do a large water change and if still zero the next day I can add fish.. Susan do I have to add fish right away because I might not be able to do that. Is there a timeframe? Will I lose my cycling if I don鈥檛 add fish right away?

Thank you so much Susan seriously!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
鈥淚t help build and feed your nitrifying bacteria in your filer and all deco and substrate

But I don鈥檛 have any bacteria in my filter for substrate, yet right? My tank has been up a little over a week.

鈥淵ou will add ammonia ever other day to bring level up for at least 3 weeks.鈥

OK this is good! The same amount that I added yesterday right? Bring the level up of my ammonia
until I鈥檝e seen nitrites?

鈥淎dd ammonia to 3.0 daily till ammonia drops to zero. Add again and if the ammonia drops to zero do a large water change. If still zero next day Add fish and plants as you are cycled.鈥

Susan ~ so once I鈥檝e seen nitrites I am going to continue until I see zero for nitrites. Then I will add ammonia daily until that becomes 0. 3.0 is 3ML, yes?

If it鈥檚 zero do a large water change and if still zero the next day I can add fish.. Susan do I have to add fish right away because I might not be able to do that. Is there a timeframe? Will I lose my cycling if I don鈥檛 add fish right away?

Thank you so much Susan seriously!
oh I forgot ~ how often do I test to check for nitrites?

Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
NO NITRIFYING YET.
You can check for nitrites in a week soon you'll see nitrites showing up. Yes keep adding till nitrites show 0 you will also see nitrates rise. When you do your water change at the end it will lower nitrates. You don't have to add fish right away, but you will need to feed your good bacteria till you do. Just add a little ammonia every couple days to keep it fed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Susan!

I going to start over on my tank ~

I can鈥檛 deal with the cloudiness and this sand anymore and I hate the black background馃槨 I鈥檓 off for a week next week and I鈥檓 gonna do it then馃憦

It鈥檚 gonna look so cool I鈥檓 gonna love it.

Until of course I don鈥檛馃ゴ

Please don鈥檛 forget me you guys cause I鈥檓 not gonna hit the tank anymore with ammonia because I鈥檓 gonna take all that water out anyway when I start over鈥es?

Registered
Susan!

I going to start over on my tank ~

I can鈥檛 deal with the cloudiness and this sand anymore and I hate the black background馃槨 I鈥檓 off for a week next week and I鈥檓 gonna do it then馃憦

It鈥檚 gonna look so cool I鈥檓 gonna love it.

Until of course I don鈥檛馃ゴ

Please don鈥檛 forget me you guys cause I鈥檓 not gonna hit the tank anymore with ammonia because I鈥檓 gonna take all that water out anyway when I start over鈥es?
Hi, hon!馃槂馃槂
馃槀馃槀馃槀 you sound just like me!
You go for it! We had sand for the longest time but decided enough was enough as well and went for pea pebbles in all 8 tanks now. Much easier to clean. Hon, you do what you want to do. Yes, please keep us up on what's going down. It's fun!!馃槂 bless your heart!馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi, hon!馃槂馃槂
馃槀馃槀馃槀 you sound just like me!
You go for it! We had sand for the longest time but decided enough was enough as well and went for pea pebbles in all 8 tanks now. Much easier to clean. Hon, you do what you want to do. Yes, please keep us up on what's going down. It's fun!!馃槂 bless your heart!馃槂
I think it was you actually could be somebody else on my other form but I think it was you, you gave me the idea I don鈥檛 like it fix it tear it down! 馃槀 can you show me your P gravel So that鈥檚 what I鈥檝e been looking at the last hour!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
You can buy bags of this at you local Lowe's, Wal-Mart, wherever. Just completely rinse it until the water turns "clear", hon.馃槂
Tank is empty! That was HORRIBLE getting all that crap out of there馃槱 At some point the water was like thick milk! My new background and gravel come today!

So I鈥檓 going to rinse that gravel until hell freezes over, and then I add gravel the first right and all my plants everything back in and then water last?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Tank is empty! That was HORRIBLE getting all that crap out of there馃槱 At some point the water was like thick milk! My new background and gravel come today!

So I鈥檓 going to rinse that gravel until hell freezes over, and then I add gravel the first right and all my plants everything back in and then water last?
making progress!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 97 Posts