Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My texas cichlid hides all day. its only him and a shark/catfish. not aggresive. and a placo. all he does is hide behind a piece of slate. any ideas???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally turn the light in the eveining and turn it off when i go to bed. should the light be on or off?

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Both :) Fish need a period of darkness so they can sleep. I've seen behavior similar to what you described, in fish that were kept in tanks that were always lit, so I was trying to rule that out first.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
try getting some "dither fish." if the texas sees a bunch of fish swimming around (like tinfoil barbs or bala sharks... many choices), it'll feel like it's safe to come out. if it sees no fish swimming around, it may think that all the fish (even though there are none) are hiding from something dangerous. Give the light idea a try, but if that doesn't work, try getting some large schooling fish, or more cichlids (all about the size of tank).

·
cichlidaholic
36 Posts
A bunch of foot long fish (Balas , if they live that long) wouldn't be the best idea. My suggestion would be Giant Danios or Buenos Aires tetras, maybe silver dollars. Ideally something large enough and fast enough (and cheap) that it can avoid being killed .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts