Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is it ok to keep scalare (any kind) in 20 gallon tank? I've heard that they can grow pretty large, but if tyhey won't have enough space, they won't grow bigger. Is it true? And also - is it ok to keep only one scalare in a tank as they are prefering to live in herd (not sure if this is true).

Thank You a lot!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I wouldn't suggest it. They don't grow to size of the tank, they stunt their growth and that affects the health and well being of the fish. A 30 gal would be good it has the same footprint but taller and it can house 2 of them.

The schooling of angels can be debatable. In the wild they will swim together as they have a lot more room than what you can give them in a tank. Once grown and if they start setting up pairs, the odd ones will end up being harrassed even to the point of death.

·
cichlidaholic
36 Posts
Pretty much what susankat said. I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 30, with a 55 being the smallest I'd try if you wanted to try more than a pair. Even then it would need some proper aquascaping (lots of tall plants and driftwood) to work well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts