Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I recently set up a 20 gallon tank supposed to be made for crayfish. I put in a sandy substrate as the base and then too when I added addirtional decor like rocks or branches I didn't rinse them first of dust (I know...). As a result, my water is very sandy and cloduy. I tried one water change so far and it actually got worse. I am in no rush to rush in crayfish into this tank but I'm a bit at a loss at how to fix the clarity (the tank has no livwe plants so I really think it's a sandy substrate issue not a bacteria bloom issue).

To fix this I was going to do large water changes everyday and treat it with a clarifier until it's clear.\

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi there. I recently set up a 20 gallon tank supposed to be made for crayfish. I put in a sandy substrate as the base and then too when I added addirtional decor like rocks or branches I didn't rinse them first of dust (I know...). As a result, my water is very sandy and cloduy. I tried one water change so far and it actually got worse. I am in no rush to rush in crayfish into this tank but I'm a bit at a loss at how to fix the clarity (the tank has no livwe plants so I really think it's a sandy substrate issue not a bacteria bloom issue).

To fix this I was going to do large water changes everyday and treat it with a clarifier until it's clear.\

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Hi!😃
What kind of sand did you use, hon?
We have used play sand at one time before we knew about pool sand. It's going to be ok, been there, done that, soooo you aren't alone. All you need to do since the sand it wet now...remove the water as much as you can get out, use paper towels if you need to, clean the glass and get the sand off the sides. What sort of system (filter) are you using? Clean Allll the sand out of it tooo!!! 😃 when done, place your decor, whatever you want into the tank. Ok, what kind of crayfish, hon? Most only need like 6 to 8 inches of water. If using a filter system, make sure water goes over the plastic thingie; okay? To add the water, use a bowl or saucer plate and gently poor your water slowly onto this dish and let it just slowly go over the sides and slowly fill your aquarium and that's it. If some is floating, I promise, it will settle, eventually.😃
Rocks did mention?? Very good!😃 we use gravel, huge rocks and have a sponge system! They make awesome pets!! 😃 we've have both, regular crayfish and Marble type!😃

1 - 3 of 3 Posts