Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
imo sand stays a little cleaner, I have used both, currently use both actually, and the sand tank looks nicer. There's some benefits of having a deep sand bed as well. Crushed coral will have its purpose, it does grow copepods like crazy which is good fish food, but overall if I had to pick one I would go with sand. Great topic, looking forward to the other replies.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I heard that if you choose sand, some say to give it a good rinse. Others say just use it straight from the bag. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like sand. My take on rinsing sand

Dry sand - rinse if you want; if not may have a longer sand storm.

Live Sand - don't rinse

Reactions: nicco0315

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are doing a reef that you want to have gobies, jawfish, stars, or other animals like these a sand bed is needed (depth based on animal needs). However, if you are doing a FOWLR tank, crushed coral does have a nice clean look while adding a texture to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think I am going to be doing the FOWLR tank because I like the idea of housing corals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would say it depends on a number of factors

i prefer the look of the sand personally but a number of reef keepers say the sand tends to blow around alot. in all my old aquariums i tended to stick to the crushed coral gravel but in my latests system i used the live sand. i used this because i wanted to speed up the maturity process. in the end in made no difference because i put in a good 25kg of live rock. so all it really goes down to in the end is personal preference

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay. I have heard mixed emotions about both but it is good to here from someone that has used both. Thanks for the insight.

·
Always reading n learning
95 Posts
Which do you think would be best to use? Sand or crushed coral.

Sand, Crushed coral just has a tendancy to trap alot more waste and the build up over time could explode into very high nitrates.....
Yo can use YardRight/OldCastle Tropical Play Sand. check your local feed stores they carry south down carribean or tropical around here penn state seed has it for 5.99 25lb bag. Then top it off with a little live sand from a freinds tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts