Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
newbie to sw
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I probably did something kind of dumb last weekend. I went to a lfs the other day for salt and seen a royal gramma swimming around with part of his chin missing with brown stuff hanging from it. There was him and a smaller one in another tank with half of his fins missing. I felt bad for them, so I bought the one with the mouth problem not having any idea what was wrong with him.
I've been treating him with Melafix antibacterial fish & coral remedy and the only thing I've noticed it that the brown stuff hanging from his chin has turned from brown to white. From what I've read it seems like it's most likely that he was injured or mouth rot, which the melafix will treat. But I haven't had to deal with anything like this before, so I really have no idea. I tried to take a picture, but it's impossible to get a decent picture with my cannon powershot.
Does anyone know of a good resource of fish diseases with pictures? hehe. The treatment ends tomorrow and he seems fine. I'm just wondering if I should be doing something else.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
sounds like a bacterial infection. see how he does with the medication. are there any other fish in the tank right now?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing. Check out this website from National Fish Pharmaceuticals: FISH DISEASE It has pretty good descriptions and illustrations of fish diseases (in the Fish Disease Diagnosis section) with recommended treatment options. Glad you saved him!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts