Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been to a couple of pet stores in my local area looking for both real rocks (not resin) and drift wood. Only drift wood I can find is maybe 12" at max, and there are absolutely no rocks!
Where do you all find your rocks?
Slate, lava rock.. etc

Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know about rocks in your part of the world but I used to harvest bog wood from a tidal estuary. Its nearly always buried but sometimes you see a bit of wood sticking out of the mud and you just have to dig it out. Take a saw with you too. Look for wood that has gone really black. I think the best stuff has been buried for 100 years or more.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, i live in canada... everything is still frozen and i don't live by any lakes.....
would it be at ponds/sloughs too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That might be a bit tricky. You need to find a place where trees have fallen into the water and then been buried by silt over time.. and then been uncovered again by changes in the topography. Thats why estuaries are good places. Its pretty hard to find a place that matches these conditions if there is nothing like that near you. Its a bit like how fossils are formed and then found.

You could use google earth to find a spot this way but it might be easier just to wait until you go to a city next and visit an aquarium store!

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can also find rock and sometimes wood material suitable for aquarium use at yard stores.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are looking for rocks then your local garden centre, quarry, builders merchant or DIY store will have them and they are often cheaper than ones from aquarium stores, But make sure you wash them well before using them and that their chemistry matches your desired water chemistry. Wood can be collected from ponds etc but is often very rotten, and will crumble when it is collected although as your in Canada and it is cold enough to preserve the wood through the winter you could well be lucky. Good luck and happy hunting, For ideas implementing rocks and driftwood in your tank visit my aquarium set up and maintainace blog and video podcast www.bombina.co.uk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts